Recommendation for a large library

I’ve run my much smaller library (10k albums and 100k tracks) on Windows 10, ROCK and Ubuntu. Not directly comparable but the technologies used on Windows and maybe? ROCK allow better performance, namely .NET vs. Mono that is used with Linux and MacOS. Windows is hands down far more responsive (for me) than ROCK or Ubuntu all with the same library running on the same hardware i7-6700, 16GB, SSD (sata) for OS. I would just swap boot devices to compare easily.

You could try a virtual Windows instance on your Mac as a test. No need to activate/license Windows just to host RoonServer. You won’t be able to customize some things but none that really matter to the use.

2 Likes

That post from Danny dates from 2017. Now he is saying that the lightest/fastest Roon systems run on Roon OS (ROCK/Nucleus):

2 Likes

Not in my experience. Windows is noticeably more responsive for me on my hardware.

2 Likes

Thank you
Bob_Lindstrom
Ralph_Pantuso
Larry_Post
Geoff_Coupe
For you input on this
I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

I experienced with Dirk_De_Taey suggestion, it really made a difference on my iMac, but i5 is already a slow machine now, so I can not do other basic things, so I will be changing it.
I am not sure what is the sweet spot (number of tracks to avoid these issues), less than 200k?
I think I have to do more segregation for my Library between Arabic and Non-Arabic music on my local library - I can take this further by adding Classical into separate folders
I will try to find software similar to Swinsian that can help me do this transition because I might be stuck with the tags again, if someone can suggest an alternative it will be great.
Thanks a lot.

[From their website]

About Roon
THE ULTIMATE MUSIC PLAYER FOR MUSIC FANATICS

I think this is what attracts the customers in addition to the compatible Roon-ready devices/HiFi gear.
Personally, I believe that asking people to find out solutions for hardware such as servers and different setups is a bit too much.