Recommendation for parametric EQ

Hi folks,
I have a very transparent system with a very horizontal frequency response from very low to high frequencies (with a little room mode, not so big compared to my previous flat). At least, the curve is reasonabily horizontal on REW (I dont use convolution).
I would like to emphasise bass and only use the parametric EQ feature of the DSP. So far I have been using 3 bands:

• band 1 at 100hz +3dB and Q=0.5
  • band 2 at 500hz +0.5dB and Q=0.5
  • band 3 at 1000hz +0.5dB and Q =0.5

Does that seem correct?
I am wondering if that is the right way to do it?
Is there a more optimal way to do that ?
Are there somewhere some values I can test to have a decreasing slop ? Or different EQ well known parameters ?
Sorry for noob questions, I am just starting exploration of this fabulous feature.
Have fun
Lama

1 Like

It sounds like you are just adjusting the tone to match your preferences. The best way go about it is to experiment.

The target curve on page 27 of this manual is a popular tuning for personal preference:

https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner's%20Manual/SDEC%20OM.pdf

Notice that the increase in bass here is lower than what you have specified, closer to 40 Hz center frequency than 100 Hz.

One important point is that you need some headroom to make these changes. Otherwise, you risk clipping the signal, which may produce audible distortion. The PEQ in Roon has a main level to the right that you can use to pull down the overall level to ensure you have the necessary headroom. For example:

I’m using these PEQ settings for a particular set of headphones. I’ve pulled down the slider on the right so that virtually none of my adjustments boost the signal above the 0 dB line. I’m allowing a little excess in the very low bass, but virtually no music has content down there anyway, so this is unlikely to result in clipping for my use case.

1 Like

Thanks very much
Here is how mine looks like

I used small Qs… even if I dont rely understand how that works. The curve seems smoother to my eyes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Regarding the curve page 27, is there anywhere where someone has converted it into freq/gain/Q so that we could copy it in our DSPs?

Here are the resources I use, and have got excellent results immediately. I’ve setup a DSP for following phones: Grad 325e and Hemp, Sennheiser HD560S, Yamaha RH-M5a. I’ve used the .wav files imported into the Roon convoluted filters. Huge benefit to the Grados, particularly 325e.

Useful guide here to making your own PEQ, where you are trying to achieve Harman target. You’ll need an accurate FR plot from which to generate the adjustment data, which is probably the biggest challenge for more obscure phones.

2 Likes

I EQ to the house curve as that is the way I like it in my room. https://www.css-audio.com/single-post/2017/11/22/What-is-a-House-Curve-and-Do-You-Need-One You can EQ to whatever you want. I use this process to let the algorithms in the Room EQ Wizard do the math to generate my DSP settings to match the response at my listening position to the desired house curve. Correct your speakers with REW, UMIK-1 and Equalizer APO (Room Correction Tutorial) - YouTube Once I export filter settings as text, I punch them into roon’s DSP settings.

For headphones I use the same guide as the post above from Jaakko Pasanen. I look up my headphones and punch in the provided DSP setting for the Harmon Curve. https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/rtings

If you don’t like punching you could use convolution filters, supported both by REW and Jaakko.

1 Like

I’d like to use the parametric dsp in Roon, but everything I read here makes it hard to understand how to even start. Maybe Roon could supply some example settings for different rooms?

2 Likes