Recommended NAA endpoint for Holo DACs

I’m using Ferrum Hypsos now as a PSU to the UP Gateway NAA. Here’s the power consumption when playing DSD256:

At boot time there are some momentary higher consumption peaks.

UP Squared is good for running HQPlayer OS with some basic PCM upsampling and such. It’s a bit more powerful. With NAA OS it has the problem of two ethernet ports. So if you’d like to use it for NAA functionality, HQPlayer OS is better for UP Squared.

2 Likes

Nice. Power use in line with my expectations.

Even if you double that number to allow for peaks and Titanis , still under 10W. My 2A powerbank would power it fine.

Nobody specifically needs a 4A 5Vdc power supply for the Intel Atom model to work well as NAA only.

The Ferrum looks nice ! And cool features.

Typical symptoms if you run out of power are device reboots or USB port falling off. You will certainly notice…

I also got their Oor headphone amplifier. It’s a very nice one! Now I just need to get a second Hypsos at some point for powering the Oor :sweat_smile:. Now the Oor is running off the stock SMPS power brick.

2 Likes

I know you don’t usually like to comment on the SQ differences, but are there any when powering the endpoint with the Hypsos? :smile:

While waiting for Jussi to comment, I can take a guess its more for features than SQ.

Still features SMPS internally but then very heavily regulated - and multiple DC voltage outputs to select from.

Probably a cool thing to have if one is testing different NAAs (like during development).

And not crazily priced either, for the features it has.

1 Like

I have a Hypsos for my etherRegen and I can say it’s both for features and soundquality. I had a Farad Super3 before the Hypsos and the Hypsos gives a better SQ than the Farad Super3.

1 Like