Recorded classical orchestral music is finally sounding great

I’ve been chasing good sound for 7 decades (I’m 88YO) and feel that engineers have finally learned how to record an orchestra so it is not a mush of sound and individual instruments can be clearly detected. Up to now I’ve been more impressed with recordings of chamber music as this has sounded very nice for quite some time. But the latest orchestral recordings are impressive.

Driving this home is the latest set of Beethoven symphonies from Gianandrea Noseda - superb. I’ve lost count of how many albums of Beethoven’s symphonies are in this large library so my initial reaction to this set was “no, I’ve got enough” but relented on researching reviews which were very positive.

Recording in hi-rez is certainly playing a role in all this but quality of microphones and their intelligent placement and engineering the recording in a suitable environment would also seem critical.

So music lovers, I wholeheartedly recommend this Beethoven set. High quality playing gear will reward you with a thrilling experience. I’ll append a file showing the 4

headphone systems used here FYI.

7 Likes