Rediscovering David Bowie

I’m well the wrong side of 50 myself. It’s the same old ideas, just different twists.

1 Like

Yep, it’s a brilliant piece of work. I have the same quandary as @Sloop_John_B, but with which of Bowie’s albums is my favourite. The three that get most played through (90% of the time on vinyl) are:

1. Hunky Dory
  2. Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
  3. Aladdin Sane

I have soft spots for Let’s Dance and Never Let Me Down (I saw him live during the Glass Spider tour in Paris at the tender age of 15).

3 Likes

Thanks for planting the seed.

Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe

4 Likes

Kooks is a wonderful song. It contains a wonderful vision of parenting and education. Going to listen to it now as I’m feeling inspired!

1 Like

Actually three albums might be a little easier than 3 songs…lol
or maybe not…

Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Heroes

3 Likes

I don’t know if your user name is a David Byrne reference, maybe we need a similar thread for him!

2 Likes

My confession is that Bowie is not my favourite musical David :wink:

1 Like

Bwahahahahahahaha! Exactly.

Great fan of Talking Heads but my username is as much about extolling nonsense as it is about TH. We should all stop making sense and dare to flirt with nonsense!

1 Like

You Are Valence.

Limiting favorite Bowie song picks to three is not fair… but here goes:

• Changes
  • Starman
  • The Bewlay Brothers

Have to go back a ways for the last one and it’s not well known. But the line “Hanging out with your dwarf men” gets me every time…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Three albums would be a big ask, but three songs?

Width of a Circle
Aladdin Sane
London Boys

Anything from ZSATSFM obviously, but it needs to be played at maximum volume and my neighbors are armed

1 Like

Show them the back of the album. They’ll understand then…

1 Like

My teenage live Bowie experience was February 1973 Radio City Music Hall, NYC when Bowie brought his Ziggy character to the US audiences. Classic show. RCMH

2 Likes

Golden Years
The Bewlay Brothers
DJ

And a lot of others …

First big concert I ever saw was Bowie, 1978 MCG. The queue outside immortalised in the opening scenes of Dogs in Space.

Hunky Dory is one of my favourite albums of all time and my fave Bowie album, and one that has special memories as I was just getting switched on to rock music. Spiders would be next.

Best songs? Varies from day to day but would always include:

Kooks
Starman
Life on Mars

4 Likes

I’m another that started with Ziggy Stardust as an 11 year old who had been bought a cheap walkman on holiday and needed something to play on it.
So it will always be 5 year’s, as a first, though it was probably fairly damaging emotionally at that age. The rest just move depending on the day and the mood.

Today it is:

Five years
Life on Mars
Heroes

2 Likes

Bowie my all time Hero, thanks for all the great track suggestions!!

Have a try @: 80s80s Bowie | 80s80s
round the clock David Bowie, play this station in Roon.

My list for today is:

1 Wild is the Wind
2 Sound and Vision
3 Heroes

Cheers John

2 Likes

Glad I am not the only “Five Years” guy.
Can still bring tears to the eyes in the right (wrong?) mood.

3 Likes

Absolutely and I imagine there are many of us at the right age for that.
I think it might have emotionally damaged me at the time (though think I have mostly recovered in the 40 years since) and never fails to have impact when I listen to the album about once a month or so.