Regarding SQ when storing music files on NAS vs USB/Internal Storage

Wanted some experienced input on whether storing your music files on a NAS and having them accessed by your Core unit makes a difference in sound quality vs having them on an internal ssd/external usb drive connected to the core.

Planned setup: NUC8i3 with ROCK OS pulling audio files from NAS

No. It does not.
There are advantages and disadvantages to either choice (NAS or internal SSD). Sound is not one of them.
I had been using my NAS as the music storage device. But when I got my Nuc I got a large internal SSD. I play all my music from that now. The response is perhaps slightly snappier in those cases where my NAS may have idled. Sound is the same.

The only real difference is that the NAS sometimes (most of the time) doesn’t communicate to Roon that there are new files, so one has to do a Force Rescan.

Not a big deal.

1 Like

Ooh just wait for this one to blow up.

I asked this of a manufacturer of a very well regarded Nucleus equivalent server recently. The response was:

1. (best) SSD internal
  2. SSD external (very close second)
  3. USB hard drive
  4. NAS

I’ve not used a NAS yet but have used multiple incarnations of internal ssd, external ssd/hdd, server unit as core and endpoint (so essentially with and without the network involved in delivery), wifi, ethernet, multiple switches and with and without good LPSs.

So from the standpoint of not the NAS but the network needed for it causing issues. I’ve experienced repeatedly how reducing the network (and to that end components generally) as much as possible improves SQ.

Now given that the “RAAT is bit-perfect” guys on this forum demand the last word on the subject i’ll bow out now and save the inevitable.

@AndersVinberg

Hastened now!

1 Like

Maybe you can borrow a pair of big boy pants from @xxx :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Me?
What’s this got to do with me?
First, I’m not a bits-are-bits guy, I’m a don’t-fall-for-the-claptrap guy,
Second, I’m not going to take a position in what’s claptrap anymore, I retired, didn’t you hear?

Just some friendly banter mate… please don’t take being tagged too seriously…

Since yesterday?

Apologies for tagging you then, I didn’t know.

Oh we can share a drink in mutual retirement then. My shout! :beers:

Yeah, since yesterday!
You were there…

What a crap retirement party that was - you deserve better. Hugo and I will throw you a proper party.

I’ll take you upon that.

1 Like

I hope you got a nice golden 77 femtosecond Clock to commemorate your service.