Regular audio glitches and "lost control of audio device"

Even that didn’t work @Rugby. There’s either something glitchy about the Dell version Windows installation or the Meridian drivers themselves…

@eric it seems there are still issues. I’ll try to summarise my findings:

1. Installing the Meridian drivers (as per the tech team’s request) is only possible on my machine by disabling driver signature verification and using a very specific order of actions (not covered in the instructions for the driver - I found this after many failed attempts). I am not prepared to leave my system vulnerable permanently and the driver stops working as soon as driver verification is re-enabled so I have deleted EVERY trace of the previous driver installation and reverted to the Meridian recommended approach which is to let Windows 10 apply the correct drivers.

2. The Explorer 2 is now causing an error consistently within the first 5-10 seconds of audio playback. The error message is the one about the sound file loading slowly due to an issue with the file or the hardware. This happens on all attempts to play music through Roon with the Explorer 2 via WASAPI. If I switch off Event Driven mode this problem goes away.

3. If I use the the DragonFly Red (in Event Driven mode) with Roon I have no such problems

4. If I use the Explorer 2 with JRiver MediaCenter I have no such problems

I am beginning to think that the Explorer 2 is causing the problems somehow and yet it is one of the devices that is specifically recognised by Roon so this surprises me.

Hello @Lachlan_Fennen,

We have a few users reporting issues with certain DACs and the “Event Driven Mode” option using WASAPI. While it’s unfortunate that not all devices work with “Event Driven Mode” as it is the protocol Microsoft is attempting to push as the new standard, the good news is that there should be no impact on sound quality or performance when not using “Event Driven Mode” for devices that do not support it correctly.

-John

2 Likes

Thanks @john. I’ll continue using it this way and see how it goes. I’ll report back soon if there are any issues.