Release RoPieee 2023.07

Good day Harry, Thank you so much for all your hard work that has gone in to bringing Plexamp to fluition as I am a big Plexamp listener as well as Roon but since I upgraded to .07 I can no longer play any music via Roon. I checked nothing was still playing or connected to PlexampXL, so is there something else I need to do before the pi is ready to play my Roon library? Many thanks again. Alex

Error Message: Failed to open the Audio device

It seems like once I listen to any music via Plexamp, Plexamp keeps hold of the active connection and does not release it , not even after a reboot of ropieee.

Greetings @spockfish and fellow RoPieee users,

The volume from my Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W with an Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter is producing roughly a quarter of the volume that Roon produces at full volume when streaming from Plexamp at full volume. I have tried streaming from Plexamp on my phone and from my desktop, and the Plexamp output settings appear to match the output settings in Roon, yet the volume remains low. Is anyone else having this problem?

Also, AirPlay streaming to the Pi Zero 2 W with the Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter is not working for me, but I can stream from Roon to the adapter at a fixed bit depth and sampling rate of 24 bits/48 kHz.

Best regards,

RU

Plexamp has loudness leveling enabled by default, that might explain the lower volume ā€¦ you can change this in the Plexamp web interface (hostname:32500)

regarding the apple adapter, iā€™ve read thereā€™s a linux kernel/driver issue that affects 44.1kHz for this device (prevents it from being seen as a supported sampling rate) ā€¦ might cause issues with airplay if shairport is configured for 44.1kHz only

@spockfish trying out PlexAmp integration there seems to be two volumes in play when I have my AudioQuest Dragonfly Attached. Ropieee volume isnt altered using PlexAmps volume I have to use the volume on Ropiees touchscreen to adjust. Is this supposed to be like this?

Plexamp is soft volume only (so i think what youā€™re describing is expected)

Okay thats annoying as hell.

Hello Harry, two Pi4 endpoints upgraded to 1056, smooth and perfect so far as always.

Many thanks

Bernd

2 Likes

@spockfish

allo usbridgesig is unusable with the upgrade as several people have said. I spent some time last night re-flashing back to the previous version and configuring ā€™no auto-updateā€™ and ā€™no scheduled bootā€™.
This morning ropieee informed me that an update is available. Of course it did.
The question isā€¦if I have to re-boot for any reason will it update to the new firmware?
That would make nonsense of the whole thing.

All went smooth, updated 3 Ropieees. Waiting of a HifBerry DigiPro hat and see if that works as planned.
Donation sent

2 Likes

As long as auto-update is disabled it wonā€™t do anything. You can safely reboot.

Thank you.

1 Like

Dear @tgp-2 and @spockfish:

Thank you for the suggestion to check the Plexamp playback settings on the Raspberry Pi. I accessed the Plexamp web interface for the Pi Zero 2, and I disabled loudness leveling and the limiter. I also tried changing the Preamp values. Sadly, there was no change in the Plexamp playback volume. While reviewing the Plexamp settings, I noticed that a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz is listed under the Audio Output section.

Perhaps the reduced volume from Plexamp playback is related to the bug in the Linux kernel that affects the Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter. I would have thought that Plexamp would see the adaptor with a fixed bit depth and sample rate of 24 bit/48 kHz since I thought I read that the bug in the Linux driver and kernel create this restriction even though the adaptor supports 16 and 24 bit depths and 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling rates.

Best regards,

RU

the 44.1kHz shown in your photo can be ignored (in that specific location under Plexamp settings, i donā€™t think it means much ā€¦ and for that reason, it can cause confusion)

if loudness leveling is disabled and thereā€™s no negative gain thatā€™s been set as part of EQ, then iā€™m
not sure what else could be causing the lower volume level

Hey @Ron_Sanders

I had the pops/clicks issue on my USBridge Sig when I first updated to 2023.07 but I unplugged the unit for at around 30 minutes and for some reason the issue has gone away.

Did you try unplugging the unit completely? Donā€™t just reboot it, Pull the plug and let it sit for a while.

I donā€™t know why or how it fixed the issue for me but it did.

Thank you Harry, You are my cornerstone to roon! Really appreciate your commitment.

2 Likes

Same issue on my sideā€¦ similar config

+1 on my side

Have you tried pulling the plug out from your USBridge Sig and letting it sit for a while.

This cured the issue for me and I have not reverted to the earlier release.

Yes I tried for roughly 30min, but same issue once restarted unfortunately
I went back to v5.1ā€¦ so far so good thank you

1 Like