Release RoPieee 2023.07

Hi All,

Time for another release!

!!! THIS RELEASE IS NOT WORKING ON THE ALLO USBRIDGE !!!

Two things that stand out: support for Plexamp and the new Linux LTS kernel. The latter is mostly exciting for me :wink: but it also brings things stuff that matter for us audio nerds, like improved micro timing in the audio USB chain and various overall performance improvements.

And then thereā€™s Plex. I think that Plex itself does not need an introduction, but their audio support is getting better and better. So this is pretty neat I guess.

Hereā€™s the complete changelog:

• NEW: [XL] support for Plex (Plexamp)
  • ENHANCEMENT: upgrade to Linux kernel 6.1 LTS
  • ENHANCEMENT: support for Raspberry Pi audio HATs (rebranded IQAudIO)
  • ENHANCEMENT: [XL] update UPnP player component
  • ENHANCEMENT: [XL] update UPnP bridge component
  • ENHANCEMENT: [XL] update Squeezelite component
  • ENHANCEMENT: [XL] update HQPlayer NAA component
  • FIX: when the stars are aligned it can happen that the NTP fallback to HTTPS does not work either

But you can find that on the website as well, of course: https://ropieee.org

Special thanks to @tgp-2 for figuring out Plexamp!

Have a great weekend, and enjoy!

Regards Harry

29 Likes

So far so good. Thank you Harry!

1 Like

Update was smooth, Plexamp is up an running. Thanks a lot, Harry! :star_struck:

1 Like

Everything went smooth on my 2 rpi4. :+1:

Hi Harry,
Iā€™ve done the update via the beta channel and activated Plexamp under Services (including inputting my claim token) but cannot see my Rpi anywhere within the Plexamp app. Should I be seeing this as a player endpoint from the plexamp interface?

1 Like

Hi @spockfish,
Aparently this update overwrote my ā€œdisable_poe_fan=1ā€ line in config.txt, causing the fan of the PoE hat to spin up from time to time.
Also, it looks like I can no longer SSH into the RPi 3B. I get the following error:
Iā€™m not using SSH often, so maybe Iā€™m doing something wrong.
Any clues to permanently shut donw the PoE fan other than brute force? :slight_smile:

What is the current stable build number?
I switched to the Beta channel to get Plexamp and have switched back to the stable channel.
Iā€™m still showing build 2023.07 (1044) and wondering if thatā€™s correct?
Auto Update is toggled on.

Thanks.

Edit: Re-flashed.
Iā€™m on 1056 now.

Thanks @MichaelS

2023.07 (1056) [stable]

1 Like

Hi @spockfish

I upgraded to 2023.07 and now I am hearing pops/clicks when I listen to music on my Meridian Prime headphone amp that is connected to an Allo USBridge Signature running RoPieee.

To give a bit of context I usually listen to this set up whilst relaxing in bed at night.
The previous night I listened to the same album but using the previous release of RoPieee with no audible pops/clicks then last night after upgrading RoPieee I started getting the pop/clicks.

Luckily I also have a Chord Mojo/Poly and was able to use this as listening with the pops/clicks was not enjoyable at all. I had to laugh as my first though was ā€œhave I turned on a Vinyl presetā€ :grin:

Obviously I donā€™t know if it is related to your latest release, I went through and checked all my cabling and could see no obvious issues and I also rebooted my USBridge Sig and ROCK Core.
Could it be related to the new Linux kernel in some way as has my USBridge had its day?

Is it possible for me to revert back to the previous release to see if the issue is now also present on it?

Anyway I thought I would post this in case anyone else with a USBridge Sig has the same issue.

Feedback sent (if it helps): 0044a3b1f293cb5b

1 Like

Hi @spockfish,
Thank you for the new release. I am so pleased to see that the red RoPieee-icon is back. It looks so much more premium than the black one.
Kind regards, Frank.

2 Likes

Hi, and many thanks for your work. After this post I checked on RoPieee on my Pi4 and found under Advanced that the Update Channel was stable but the auto update toggle was greyed out - so still on 2023.05.1. Any idea why?

Cheers, John

ā€œAuto Updateā€ only works if you also set a ā€œReboot Scheduleā€!

1 Like

Many thanks and noted. I set it to daily and rebooted but no download. Iā€™ll try again later.

Cheers

Rebooting does not speed up your update process. It just takes time (up until a few days). The same goes for auto-update: the only thing it does is making the installation of the update automatic, but the principal is the same.

Cool. Cheers

Hmmmā€¦ that could very well be, unfortunately. The Usbridge makes use of a network chip of which the driver has not been upstreamed. In the past I had to manually patch the kernel with a driver update.

However, this is no longer possible for the 6.1 kernel, as this so-called ā€˜out-of-threeā€™ driver isnā€™t been kept up to date. And indeed I see more reports online that even in the latest kernels the original driver is not working correctly.

So in general I think that Allo dropped the ball here: they should have taken care of properly upstreaming their out-of-three driver with the kernel community. Or at least make sure that their out-of-three driver is being kept up to date.

For now here is a link to the previous stable build: https://image.ropieee.io/ropieeexl_ose_pi3-2023.5.1-stable.20230531.989.bin.xz

If there are plenty of Usbridge users in the RoPieee family then Iā€™m considering keeping a version alive with the old kernel specifically.

Thanks

6 Likes

Experiencing same problem. Pops and tics with 2023.07 on my ethernet connected Allo USBridge and SMSL DAC. Still had a copy of 2023.05 so reloaded that and all OK.

I fear Allo are not as active as they once were.

I think they are mostly selling old inventory on the website - with most of the newer products out of stock.

1 Like

Hi Harry, unfortunately following the latest update I too am getting a horrendous stream of clicks from my Allo USBridge Signature Edition. I have gone back to the previous release using the link that you provided.

I presume that my only option for now is to leave Ropieee auto-update set to off.

Please do continue support for us USBridge Signature users, otherwise our equipment could become unusable with our beloved Ropieee.

Is it possible to apply some pressure on Allo to update their software as necessary?

Regards,

Harold Wilkin

2 Likes

I donā€™t honestly know if Allo are still trading, the guy who did a lot of developing the hardware has been silent from his thread on DIY Audio for over a year and everything on their website seems to be out of stock,

I havenā€™t reverted to the previous release as yet because last night I was going to do this and pulled power cord from my USBridge Sig,

Just out of interest after about an hour I plugged it back in as I had been pulled away to do other things and had not installed the prior release.

Low and behold the pops and clicks had gone.
I am baffled to why to why this fixed the issue hopefully someone can enlighten me.

I intend to go back and have a good listening session tonight as last night I was busy but I would like to know if others who have a USBridge Sig can try the same thing.