Although not a support topic, I just want to share my experiences of the last 2 days, here the description of my setup:
Description My Setup
Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
- Pinkfaun 2.16X Server, running on Audiolinux, AMD 7 3700 processor, 16GB RAM, 1 HD Samsung SSD 250GB for Roon + 2nd HD Samsung 4TB SSD for local music
- Roon version 2.0 build: 1272
- HQPlayer: HQPlayer Embedded 4.31.0
Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
- iPad Air Pro – 128GB - running iPadOS 16.2 - Roon version 2.0 build: 1271
- Samsung S10e – running Android version 12 kernel 4.14.113-25257816 – Roon version 2.0 build: 1271 Wifi 6
- PC running Windows 11 Home - 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz Ram 16GB, Roon version 2.0 build: 1272
Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)
- Ethernet & Wifi Mesh network built on 3 * Asus Zenwifi AT XT8
- Connected to Service Provider modem
- Speedtest connection speed ethernet 93Mbps download – 18Mbps upload
- Roon Core connected via ethernet, Remote PC connected via ethernet
- Mobile Remotes connected via Wifi6
Audio devices in use
- T+A 8 DSD connected to Roon Core, using HQPlayerEmbedded, connected via USB
- Endpoints : 1 * Cambridge Audio CXN v2 , connected via ethernet
- Local library on separate internal 14TB + 12 TB SSD harddisks in Roon Server
- Qobuz Hi-fi Sublime streaming service
- 62303 tracks (4189 albums – 2422 local, 1767 Qobuz)
- Location 1 : USB disk connected to Core Machine - 2GB capacity
- Location 2 : Synology NAS 10,8 TB capacity
- Location 3 : USB disk connected to Synology NAS - 7,2 TB capacity
What’s this all about?
We suffered from a network outage from our ISP.
After that, still do not understand how and why, 1 of my Asus Zenwifi AT XT8 nodes would not sync with the Mesh Router anymore, even after factory reset.
As it was at least 1 (if not 2) year(s) ago I had updated the firmware of the Mesh router + nodes, I decided to install the latest firmware (dated 15 May 2023) on all 3 units.
After this firmware upgrade, both router and 2 nodes did come back up normally, and everything seemed fine.
Then Roon problems started, not with my Roon server but with my wireless access points.
Roon played fine, and I could manage it perfectly using a Windows 11 laptop connected to the lan via fixed connection.
However, both my iPad and Samsung phone were having issues keeping connected to the Core .
Error messages such Conection lost, connect to another core, came up and went away, but one thing was clear: I could not use my wireless access points to manage Roon.
As it was clearly a wifi problem, and I had just had installed new firmware, I decided to try to downgrade the firmware to an older version from 12 December 2022.
(For those interested: FW_ZENWIFI_XT8_300438822068.w)
After downgrading, the good news is that all is back to normal.
- Even if your wifi network looks fine at 1st sight, there’s no guarantee it is working ‘perfectly’ well.
- Be careful when installing new firmware and make sure you have a fallback plan
- Most important: make sure you (can) have a lan-connected Roon client (even temporary) in order to be able to investigate eventual network problems with Roon.