Remote connection via VPN - [Resolved] but ongoing discussion

Just tried Chromecast over VPN it can also connect to my devices.

Hey everyone,

For what it’s worth I’m successfully able to play my music on my Android phone through VPN outside of the Roon Core’s network. Connected directly to “VPN Server” on my Synology NAS where the Roon Core is running on.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/android-auto-remote-access-through-vpn/110631/6

I just decided to test my iPhone connection over WiFi at my in-laws place via ZeroTier back to ZeroTier session on my windows core setup, just had to hit help in the connection screen to enter the ZeroTier IP address of the core machine and bingo all works fine. Had to add the iPhone as an endpoint tho and I disabled private. Listening now no breakups.

Dropping the WiFi and trying on 4g won’t work still, so you need a WiFi connection which is still at least something to get sound while out of the house. Maybe using a WiFi hotspot will work to another device on 4g…but that’s getting a bit too complicated

1 Like

That’s how I get it to work, use my phone as hotspot and DAP connect to it.

I just noticed with this latest update, 1.7 build 571, a plain Jane wireguard VPN works. It works on wifi, it works on LTE. This is a game changer!

I could use some help. I’ve got a Unifi Dream Machine Pro router. Roon Core (rock) is running on linux. I’ve setup my VPN on the Unifi according to @CrystalGipsy’s instructions. mDNS is on. I can connect to the VPN just fine from my Mac. I can ping the machine with my Roon server. But when I launch Roon (as a client app) on my mac, it cannot fine my Roon Core server. Any ideas on what to troubleshoot?

Any help would be appreciated!

You have to enter the IP manually as it wont auto discover. When it fails click on connect to different core then help. You eventually will get a screen where you can input ip address of core. Type it in and it should connect.

1 Like

Thank you, trying that now. Seems like a nice feature would be to manually cancel the auto discovery, it take quite a while to time-out.

Cool. I’ve got a connection. Thank you. But now it won’t recognize audio device’s connected to my mac (which was the point of the exercise for me). Any idea @CrystalGipsy? You seem to be the expert.

Unfortunately not for this. I also could not get my laptop to work as an endpoint it would see everything else though. My Android phone however works and is seen as and endpoint. I think there is some other things needed for it it too work but it’s beyond my skills.

Hi there, I … and a few others are now using Softether VPN server based on a small RaspberryPi3 easy to install and to build and give L2TP /IPSec as should :slight_smile: for using ROON remotely … total cost? Software is free RaspberryPi3 find the cheapest and 16Gb memory card, and about 1 hour configuring… sounds good? Remotely working on iPhone, iPad, MacBookPro, iMac …

Is there a how to?

Yes I can provide you by mail if you want … my The how to … as far as i know a few users followed the instructions and they are happy … On the ROON Tinker section you see VPN step by step … issues

Sent you a pm

Hey guys, I have fritzbox router with built in VPN and it works great. But unfortunately Roon app on my iphone doesn’t work. I also have Synology 918+, where the Roon core is running. Is it possbile to install another VPN service on Synology, which would make it work? Anyone who did this before? Thank you

I’m also interested to the configuration of the RPi.

Hi Nicola, what email I can send to?

Regards,
Max

Thanks for your reply.
I’ll send you a PM

Hi @Nicola_Sforza, you might not want to put your email address on a public forum unless you’re feeling short on spam mail. You can send a private message (instructions here) that will protect your details.

Many thanks!

1 Like