Remote connection via VPN - [Resolved] but ongoing discussion

I have found that I need to quit Roon on my iPhone sometimes to get the phone to show up as an end point.

Just tried while sitting around waiting for a meeting in the city. Couldn’t find the phone as an end point until a force quite the previous audio app I was using (Overcast).

Thanks. I tried that and that I’d forgotten to quit Overcast, but unfortunately it didn’t work for me.

Jeff

Hello Alfred, do you have a screenshot of your Roon port forwarding/ poort doorsturen?
Much appreciated! Roon can find the core by VPNplus and the iPhone controls the system but the iPhone does not show up as an endpoint. I checked the Roon settings/audio and the iphone does not show up there.

@WJGP_Boogaart, I have no port forwarding rule for Roon in my Router. I am using SSL VPN in VPN Plus Server and have choosen for “Local network” at Client-IP-range. Take also care to disable IGMP Snooping and IGMP proxy (Network center → Local Network). Also install iOS version 14.3 or higher on your iPhone.

Thanx Alfred, Local Network did the trick. I missed that part!

Running here 1.8 with SoftEtherVPN no issues works fine - as well as with previous builds 1.4 and up to the latest.

Hi @Shokunin ,

I am giving your suggestion a chance and when I play music to the default sound device (aka “System”) on the remote machine via Roon, it refuses to play. Maybe it does not like to play to a “remote audio device” which happens to be on my iOS device (e.g. my iphone). BTW, I can play a flac file via the Windows Media Player fine. Just Roon, that does not play. Any idea or experience on your end?

Hi @Shokunin ,

I think I figured out. One should run/launch roon at the local machine first, not from a remote machine. That did the trick. Thanks for the idea. I think this is the next best thing if not the best one. I hope that there is a way to throttle the bps like mp3 rate rather than CD rate.

1 Like

Glad I could help. What doyou mean by local first then remote?

Let’s suppose machine A (“local”) will be controlled remotely by machine B (“remote”). Then, roon must be launched at the machine A before a remote control session is established by the machine B. Once music plays successfully on the remote machine, it is important that one does not mess with the audio setting in roon. Otherwise, roon audio chain gets confused and no more music. In that case, it is not easy to restart the roon on the machine A (e.g. at home) from the machine B (e.g. in your car) while observing the starting rule I stated in the beginning. So I set the machine A to auto login and auto launch roon on login when the machine A reboots. So whenever roon audio chain acts up, I send a reboot command to the machine A from the machine B.

Now, I am contemplating EQing my car audio with Dirac solution. This will be an interesting project for me in the coming weeks.

RD solution brings many new possibilities and I thank you for that.

Cheers!

The following setup works for me:

• Synology NAS 920+ with VPN Server package running an Open VPN Server with 30 maximum connections enabled, this is extremely important in order to being able to play Roon on your iPhone. I tried with lower values and the iPhone doesn’t get a local IP, making impossible to play audio through it.
  • Port 1194 (default one) open in your router, very easy to setup on my Unifi USG router.
  • Open VPN app in the iPhone with your properly configured VPNConfig.ovpn file.

Hi

Can I ask how you did the LTE part? I’ve managed the VPN over wifi but roon says “No wifi Connection” over LTE/VPN.

Thanks

You probably need to set another mobile device as a hot spot

This worked but I’d love to see a LTE work around. Perhaps the app could just remove that restriction?

use case at this time is very very niche so I doubt it will be there until Roon is ready if ever to support remote streaming from the core over public networks

Hello. There are several different threads on this, but I believe this is the oldest one, so I decided to post my comments here. I have been wanting/waiting to add something for a while, but haven’t really known what to say. I don’t know much at all about networking, but working on accessing Roon remotely over the last couple years has taught me a lot. I’m still having issues, which I mention below; however, this is mostly a summary of what I’ve learned from this and other community forums.

For others, I’ve learned ZeroTier and Tailscale can work great if all the devices on the network (cell phone, device hosting the Roon server, etc.) can have their respective app downloaded, or in some way utilized to connect the devices together. My Roon server is on a QNAP NAS, and, for whatever reason, I cannot for the life of me get ZeroTier or Tailscale to work. QNAP seems to use a type of Linux that no one else uses, or has the rights to use. Those who know how to utilize GitHub and/or Docker, may have more success. I found out after purchasing it that Synology NAS’ seem to work great w/ these VPN services (as well as OpenVPN).

The best I’ve done so far is using the OpenVPN option my Netgear R8000 router came w/, but it was too inconsistent to actually use day to day (once it cuts out, I can no longer use my phone as an audio device remotely). The last thing I want to be doing is fooling w/ my phone to get Roon back online while I’m driving. I know others have had better luck w/ OpenVPN.

Currently I have a Netgate router using PfSense+ and I really love it. I have Wireguard setup and I can access and play audio from Roon remotely, but this only works using my laptop. Like others on this and other threads have noted, my cell phone can access Roon remotely, but I cannot use it as an audio device. No good.

In talking w/ others on different IT threads (Lawrence Systems and the Netgate Community Forums), the issue appears to stem from VPN products like OpenVPN and Wireguard being on different subnets within the network than the Roon server. If Roon uses things like multicast to function properly, that may explain why the cell phone doesn’t work, but why can my laptop play audio remotely? Currently, I’ve been toying w/ the IGMP Proxy options on my PfSense to see if that might help get my cell phone to play music from Roon remotely. If multicast is the issue, IGMP proxy seems to be the way to address that. But no luck yet.

If the aforementioned is part of the reason for this issue, using a bridged or TAP connection might work as well. A TAP connection can be setup using OpenVPN, but Wireguard only works in layer 3 (or TUN?), and from what I’ve read, Android and IOS don’t work using OpenVPN in TAP mode. So I haven’t tried it.

For what it’s worth, I talked w/ an IT person earlier this week, who mentioned, even if Roon finds a way to allow remote access, there may be additional security risks involved that some people may not be ok w/.

So, what is one to do? Is anyone familiar w/ the term, “chasing the dragon?” I’ve tasted success in the past w/ this, there’s got to be a way to do it again and have it work more consistently.

I’m still excited for remote playback. And this blurb in their latest email sounds close, but I got to imagine that’s not what they’re talking about: right?

Rock-solid streaming

We’ve completely overhauled Roon’s buffering and caching system when playing streaming content so that it’s less demanding when interacting with your network and internet connection. This will make streaming music both more reliable and less intensive on your Roon Core, even for those with slower networks and internet connections.

sadly no its not

Got me all hot and bothered

Listening ports of the new released version - Roon 1.8 (Build 880) seemed to have changed. You need to open 9100-9400/tcp for VPN to work properly.