Remote connection via VPN - [Resolved] but ongoing discussion

It’s also hilarious how many customers ROON lose because they can’t use the program outside the house.

They focus so hard on the Niche local collection crowd, when they could simply enable remote streaming with integrated music services as well and create a market leading product.

Which then means more investment and partnerships with vendors etc. for us music nerds. JUST DO IT

5 Likes

Funny, I never thought they focused on the “niche local collection”. IMHO, they are all about Tidal/Qobuz integration.

This is exactly how I feel after a few days of the Roon trial. Absolutely loving Roon as a music discovery and streaming tool, but not being able to browse, stream, and add things to my library outside of the house seems completely crazy to me.

Unfortunately it seems like this sentiment has been around for years and there’s been no progress, so maybe I should check out other tools :frowning_face:

3 Likes

You don’t know there’s been no progress. They are working on it. I suspect it’s coming soon.

Is there any comms from the Roon dev crew on that? Just curious if they have been vocal about working on this or if we’re just hoping/assuming?

1 Like

Roon will state only that it is being worked on, specific time tables, etc are not announced.

This is all very interesting. Thanks to everyone for all the tinkering.

Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to set up through vpn or through zero tier? I’ma computer scientist so am somewhat savvy, but this thread is a really long one to figure out what will work.

Hi there, just got for years 1 perfect working VPN softether, as well as for iOS and Android or Win or UNIX :slight_smile: - interested? - just your email Address + request will be fine and i sent you a link

Oh this is LONG thread :slight_smile:

• Router FRITZ!Box 7590
  • NAS QNAP HS-264 (Roon Server)
  • Desktop Windows 11

Any suggestions for a stabel solution?

THX
Torben

I would be intrested too!
When I configured my Ropiee PI I followed a great step by step manual. Something similar would be really helpful!

@Cooper_Nalou:

@Max_Mackenzie has a step by step guide. Send him a message

1 Like

Can’t believe this still hasn’t been talked about by official roon communication. The biggest thread on the forums for feature requests by far, crickets…

Nick summed it up perfectly here, roon must be struggling to gain any new customers these days. This is every single persons experience that I have introduced to roon. they cannot believe they can’t access it outside the house and pass on it, they won’t pay an extra 20 bucks a month for something that can’t even match streaming services for accessibility.

1 Like

We need to consider the licensing issues. When you buy a CD and rip it or buy a FLAC file, both cases are for personal use. This will be hard as long as there are no warranties of deviant consumer behavior. For example, if I buy an album, I am not supposed to share the FLAC files, not even with family members. What prevents Roon from being used in that way? I imagine a similar situation with TIDAL and Qobuz streaming through your Roon server.
Finally, I would love the remote access feature and will use it, especially at work. I am just saying that I understand that there might be some legal barrier with this.

I know this is a very long thread and Tailscale has been mentioned before but just wanted to share my somewhat limited success using this method.

• Ubuntu 22.04 box running Roon server at home with Tailscale installed.
  • Fedora 36 laptop at work running Roon bridge, Roon on wine and Tailscale.
  • Android phone with Roon remote and Tailscale.

With zero config, pretty much vanilla installs all round:

• Phone and work laptop connect to the Roon core almost immediately
  • Both take up to 5 mins to be available as an audio output
  • Thereafter can play through phone without issue on work wifi but intermittent on LTE
  • Work laptop just skips through songs ; unusable, might be a pipewire issue but can use Roon on wine to control phone output which is an acceptable workaround.

So no go on using this method in the car as LTE performance is so unreliable - tidal it is for now. And no way to use work computer as an endpoint but with an acceptable workaround.

Would be so nice to have a stable implementation of access outside the home but more tinkering required!

Looking at the support forums it seems they have a lot of other problems before they seriously tackle this I think…

1 Like

I guess Roon Arc is the answer for all those who just wanted to get Roon working on their mobile devices.

Of course Roon Arc doesn’t work on other machines, so I tried to connect through a VPN which I set up in my router (a FritzBox 6690). Roon remote on my laptop immediately found the roon core in my home network, though it took a few minutes until the laptop’s audio was recognized by the core.

I got skipping whenever I played any hi-res music, so I configured downmixing to 48 kHz on my audio device, and now everything is running smoothly. My home network is limited to 25 Mbit/s upstream. If yours has more bandwidth, you may get it to work for hi-res files without downmixing.

PS: If you can run Roon Bridge on the same machine you’re running Roon remote on (connected to your home network through VPN), then your audio devices should be detected immediately and you can skip the 5 minutes or so waiting time. At least that works for me on my MacBook Air.

There shouldn’t be any legal issue to listening to music you own wherever you want. Is it illegal if you play your music on a stereo at a party? I don’t think so

Same here but with more upstream bandwith in Fritzbox 6660. Wireguard VPN an no Problem streaming Hi-res files withe the roon ios App or on the Mac outside my home with good Handy or wifi Connection.
But Roon ARC is also working without problems for me.

How did you do that??

I have Zerotier configured on my OpnSense FW and have full access to all my LAN resources when out on the road … except Roon !!

Can’t get ARC to work whatever I try, so it seems it’s all down to the server using broadcast discovery across VLANs (which seems hit and miss at best) rather than identifying the server by IP, which is, if memory serves, something we used to be able to do, but not now

I’m unclear why that can’t just be made an option so the tecchies can play about but the standard user can just rely on broadcast

Anyway … sorry !

Can you share your config please? Cheers