Remote playback over internet [On Roadmap - Not Scheduled]

If your home is operating at four-nines availability while unattended, I congratulate you.

I agree with Anders. Remote access to files on my server is subject to uploading bandwidth/speeds. In Australia they are abysmal.

The cloud would avoid the need to manage an upload server.

Whereas I agree with Roni, and I live in Australia. Having had the ability to take my music with me for over a decade (via syncing) and streaming from my home network with very rare dropouts for 7 years or more (via Plex). However I do realise that for Roon to do either of these two things means a rewrite of the remote/client software in a big way. Cloud services would be nice for those that don’t have upload speeds to support their desired playback quality but can afford to pay for an additional service.

A cloud solution isn’t for me, my library is too large to host in the cloud cost effectively. I prefer to use my own hardware.

It’s not for me either, for two reasons. Cost is one and unreliability of cloud services is the other. Plex offers a cloud service and after initial release it supported Amazons no defunk unlimited storage plan which the offered a free trial of. It was unable to stream anything reliably whereas if I switched to my home network it streamed 1080p video with no problem (20Mbps upload bandwidth).
Cloud makes sense only if your provider and current location are located on a properly peered network. As soon as you7connected to a network without good peering you will be pret much out of luck. The same can be said for any remote access of course, so syncing to your portable player helps get aroun this.

Gladly it’s in development and have been discussed and requested many times over the years Mobile Music Sync and Streaming [On Roadmap]

For a service that has a subtantial price you could just expect a core feature like this during this age and time. You are forgetting it’s not announced yet and painting a too black and white picture of the feature that it would be “always on” with full bandwidth without any cache/syncing/latency optimizations that would make it sensible to use. Like in Subsonic/Plex/Ampache/any similar services out there.

I’m also quite sure it wouldn’t be forced to be enabled for all users because I know many prefer to just have their home theater system and user roon like Sonar and equivalents for example. I like to think Roon Labs want to listen to their paying users, old and new.

I hope nobody (or Roon) is considering a “cloud” here. Files would be streamed/synced over network rather than being uploaded anywhere. As much as I want to like Google Play Music I’m sure nobody wants Roon to be a service like that.

Apple’s iTunes Match is just that - cloud based music.

I have paused my use of Roon for over year, simply because I am at work or in the car when I get to listen to music. Apple wins for that convenience.

I tried to be all in on Roon but the feature set is not what I want right now.

Yeah.
For any company, it is important to listen to the customers.
But its also important to listen to non-customers.

I fully agree! It also has one additional benefit. You can invite family and friends to connect to your server, and you cane be invited to connect to their’s. Really elegant and useful!

I’m a paying ROON customer. Not having this feature … to sync/remotely access Core server from another network / across the internet … is a seriously weak flaw. My wife HATES that she has to switch from ROON to Tidal or Spotify when on the road. Me too … I use Roon before going to work, then have to close ROON and open Tidal for my drive to work. Tidal and Spotify both have this feature figured out … what is taking ROON so long!!! Hasn’t this been in the works since 2015???

Agreed … I want to keep my Core server on my local network. I wouldn’t mind a sync/dowload playlist to local storage option, or an option to stream directly from my Roon Core server from the internet, but I have NO/0/ZIP/ZILCH interest in uploading my library to the cloud.

Yeah, but that is much more difficult than a cloud service.
Partly because your home is not operating with high reliability.
There are occasional hiccups in computers, networks, routers, power strips or internet service that are easily fixed by power cycling, rebooting, or fiddling. One common blocker is security updates — some just break things, and many gadgets have this idea that somebody is always there, and pop up dialogs like “we have changed security police, click Accept”. If you are away from home, nobody is there to do that. If you go away for a month, Roon could be unavailable for that month.

It would certainly be possible to build that, but I’m not in favor of it, because it would be difficult for the majority of customers to set up and keep working.

So why don’t you want your library in the cloud? Cost is one issue. Others?

Btw, I have suggested that Roon would sync the database through the cloud, but rely on Tidal for the content, identifying the corresponding album to your private stuff. Would satisfy a lot of needs, but would miss more unusual content. A useful first step.

I don’t understand all the doom and gloom regarding computers and networks you guys are propagating. What kind of equipment and ISPs are you guys running to have such negative opinions of home based equipment? I’ve never personally witnessed such levels of unreliability, and I’ve been working IT for almost 2 decades now.

My Roon Core server has been running without interruption since the day I installed the OS. It’s a handbuilt Hexacore from 2011 … still works fine / last long time.
My internal network is rock solid stable and is a mix of Gigabit wired and 802.11AC.
My ISP’s broadband connection has bandwidth for days and generally great uptime.

Locally syncing selected songs to my phone for off network use (the same way Spotify and Tidal ALREADY DO!) would eliminate the network/equipment concerns you broach anyways.

My local audio library is over 300GBs … and I have an 8TB RAID 10 array locally … why would I want to upload that to the Cloud when I have ample capacity, reliability, and bandwidth available at home?

1 Like

I think you’ve answered your own observation - you’ve been working in IT for almost two decades. You are comfortable with it. Many people are not, and wouldn’t have the first idea of where to start if something went wrong.

Even if I accede to that logic … wouldn’t it make sense for ROON to offer all of the proposed options?

Local syncing and off network streaming for those with the wherewithal, and a Cloud based service for those who are uncomfortable with managing the local technology aspect?

It’s the exclusionary and drastic negative statements against tried and true technology that I find consternating.

1 Like

I suspect one argument would be that Roon Labs have finite development and support resources. Unlikely that both avenues can be taken, so which do they choose…

Solid argument, and without subscriber data it is hard to respond to. Who knows what Roon’s resources are … but I would argue they stand to lose re$ource$ if they continue to not offer a solution that’s been baked into their competitors for years.

Note: I love Roon … offers 90% of what I need … it just kills me that I have to fire up Spotify, Tidal, or Plex apps when on the go. Come on now … Roon can do this =/

“Hi, honey? How are the kids?
Yeah, Japan is great, after the Friday meeting we’ll do some sightseeing before flying off to Singapore.
But I’ve got one problem, I can’t play my music.
Could you please check if the network is ok?
Not the one for the house, the separate subnet for the office and the sound system, the switch is in the closet.
And check if the Roon server is ok, if the light is on, you will have to RPC into it and look at the status logs, fire up the laptop, there is an RPC icon on the desktop, the password is Roonsecrets, all lower case after the capital R. And check the NAS as well, you can log into it from a web browser, username is Admin and the password is data1234.
I’ll wait here while you troubleshoot, and then I’ll walk you through how to fix it.
Ok, honey? Honey? Are you there? Hello? Hello?..”

1 Like

My biggest reservation with regards to streaming off-net from Roon Core is simply that the upstream on my broadband connection is currently limited to 10 Mbps. I can upgrade to 1000/40Mbps with Comcast, but that costs an additional $60/month (iirc) and is typically subject to the 1TB monthly usage cap (allegedly signing a 3-year contract removes the usage cap).

I already pay $20/month for Tidal Hifi which duplicates a large percentage of my local FLAC library and the quality is typically more than sufficient for my mobile listening needs. That being said, I would like to be able to use the Roon UI remotely. I would also like the option to access songs in my local library that are not available from Tidal.

Ideally:

• I’d like to be able to use the Roon UI when away from home to play music.
  • I’d like the Roon app to stream songs available on Tidal directly to my mobile device when off-net.
  • I’d like to be able to access songs in my library that are not available from Tidal.
  • I’d like the option to sync and store specific songs / albums on my mobile device for off-line playback (ideally either songs stored in my Roon library or songs from Tidal as Tidal allows in their app).

Remote access could be by streaming over my broadband connection with the option to transcode songs down to a rate suitable for the broadband connection’s upstream speed (with headroom for other traffic).

I’d also like the option to sync music from my Roon library to cloud storage so I don’t need to stream over my broadband connection. This could be music not available on Tidal or other music that I choose for whatever reason (e.g. version on Tidal is lower quality than what I have in my library).

The trade-off between streaming from home and cloud storage would be broadband connection speed, reliability and potential date overage costs versus the cost of cloud storage and streaming. An added benefit of paying to store your entire library in the cloud would be as an off-site back-up to your local library.

Clearly this would be a major undertaking for the Roon development team, but it seems like the current ‘Versions’ logic would extend nicely to off-net streaming and prioritization with or without Tidal.