Reports or stats on my listening habits for the year?

Apologies if I missed a post on this - I’ve searched multiple ways but can’t seem to find anything on it.

I want to have a list of the 25 albums I most listened to this year. Or the 50 tracks I most listened to. I’m surprised that I can’t seem to find a way to do this - using the Focus options doesn’t do it, at least that I can find. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Vog

2 Likes

Vog I would love this feature as well and have never found anything that matches this requirement.
I use Last.fm for this, not sure if you have ever tried scrobbling your listening to Last.fm
I know Roon captures this information in its database as well

Regards

Mike

2 Likes

I don’t think this can be done, but like you I think it would be a great feature. As I’m sure you’ve discovered, you can use focus to select ‘25 most played’ and ‘Played in the last Year’, but this doesn’t work, i.e. you end up with a subset of your 25 most played albums.

I also use last.fm for this purpose.

2 Likes

To your idea, you could use Focus to view albums you’ve played in the last year, and sort by most played. You can do the same thing under tracks, by focusing on albums you’ve played int he last year, and then sorting the tracks by Plays.

2 Likes

I’m running a backup at the moment so can’t check, but I don’t think this works (unless I’m missing something). The problem seems to be that ‘most played’ checks your entire listening history, irrespective of year. If you then focus on ‘played in the last year’ you get a list of the albums from your overall listening history that you happened to play during the last year. I don’t think this is what the OP is looking for.

For example, one of my top albums (according to ‘most played’) is Rachel Podger’s Perla Barocca. I played this almost on repeat a few years ago, but have only played it once or twice this year, yet it shows up in ‘25 most played’ / ‘Played in the last Year’. It certainly isn’t one of my top 25 albums for 2020.

1 Like

Right you are! I completely missed that key point.

1 Like

Same here! I misunderstood this as well.
Agree it would be a great capability, especially this time of year.

2 Likes

I’ve shifted this into Feature Requests. It sounds like it could be a popular feature.

6 Likes

I’m not convinced Roon actually tracks this data. I’m guessing it simply increments play count, and updates the “last played” field, rather than keeping track of every time you listened.

This means it would be a sizeable feature, to which I’m guessing the Roon folks would say “use Last.fm” - which is not a great answer (for privacy reasons among others) but I’m guessing that’s why they haven’t done it already.

Can anyone from the Roon team validate that the database entries aren’t even there, making this not a display/export feature but a database one as well?

Vog

I was also looking for exactly this, so I am subscribing to this topic.

As an alternative I revived my old Last.fm account. But it seems to me these music reports are behind a pro account nowadays. A paid last.fm account just for this report is a bit too much for me. And I can’t find how to set up Roon to scrobble to Last.fm. I read Roon should have built-in Last.fm support but I can’t find it in the settings. Also the url to the user guide returns a 502 server error.

FAQ: Can I scrobble to Last fm while I listen in Roon? (roonlabs.com)

The 502 error is because the link is to the deprecated KB system, which may be down currently. Use the new Help portal at Roon Labs Help Center | Home

ah great, thanks for pointing me to the right FAQ. Apparently it’s in my profile info, and when I try to edit it I also get the 502 error. I’ll just wait for now.
Thanks again

Hmm - yes there’s a problem accessing account info on Roon Labs servers ATM. Flagging @support

1 Like

Hi @Niels_Anders you will still get basic stats from last.fm which work well for me. I would love better stays but not worth $5 a month.
If they offered scrobbling only stats for say $20 a year I would pay that happily.

But I would also pay that for a Roon addon as well.
I assume that the issue this morning is Roon related as my last.fm account is scrobbling as usual.

Mike

1 Like

Not from the Roon Team, but all of this information is in your play history. So it should be calculatable.

Thanks Akimo this helped me a lot. I rarely use the Focus. It can do a lot from what I am beginning to see:)

@grossmsj - you’re absolutely right, I hadn’t thought of that. So the data is all there, Roon just needs a Reporting function. Or, not nearly as good, a way for us to export all the data so we can try to create the reports ourselves.

This provides hope. I’m surprised a basic version of it isn’t already there, given the data is.

Thanks,

Vog

I have long wanted to visualize my listening habits data with PowerBI. Not only by year, but also by Tag, Artist, Date Recorded, etc…

Might be missing something here but doesn’t the auto scrobbling to last.fm allow you to get this information? It’s not native to Roon of course but the data is there on all your plays right?

Edit: sorry @Michael_Harris had already mentioned this but I missed it

1 Like

Hey Tim no problem, this thread is getting longer and we are all looking for a way to improve our need for better stats on our music listening :see_no_evil::sunglasses:

Mike

2 Likes