Request to create a flatpak for all Linux distributions in order to simplify Roon installation

There have been a few posts in recent months about installing Roon on Linux, using various methods such as Wine.

But many Linux users don’t post on this forum - installation on different Linux distributions is a headache.

I think it’s time Roon created a Flatpak that would enable users of different Linux distributions to install it easily and obtain regular software updates.

This is now a legitimate and imperative request for all Roon Linux users.

Can Roon do this for us within a reasonable timeframe?

Many thanks to the entire Roon development team for their interest in and support of our Linux users.

Yours sincerely

I am moving this to Feature Requests where it should be.

Having installed RoonServer on dozens and dozens of Linux distros, I disagree that it is a headache.

As the OP mentioned Wine, I suppose they were talking about the GUI, not server.

Since Roon (GUI) isn’t supported on Linux, I see little point in this request. The correct request is a native Linux app, and that’s already in #feature-suggestions.

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I didn’t know that only the server version could be installed on Linux. It’s probably a procedure that’s beyond my meagre IT skills.

I was expecting to be able to install the same software as on Windows or Android with a graphical application that can act either as a server or in direct use, even though I use it exclusively on Linux or PC as a server and drive ROON using an Android tablet.

But graphical installation for someone who isn’t technically proficient in Linux is infinitely simpler for me (I’m 67 old).

I wish you a pleasant weekend.

All the best to you all.

Jean-Louis

If you would like to install Roon GUI on Linux using a graphical interface, try Bottles. This is available on Flatpak only.

You’ll need to configure the bottle using the UI before running the Roon Windows installer. There is a recent guide in Tinkering, search for Bottles or Wine Bottles.

OK. I’ll try that with Bottles / Flatpak.

Thank you so much for your help and advice :slight_smile:

Please be advised that using a vm is not a supported environment. If you will have any issues you should post them in the Tinkering section not the official Roon support section.

If you are unfamiliar with Linux you could use an OS you are more comfortable with? Windows work just fine running Roon Server as well.

Hello Daniel.

Even if I don’t have much expertise, I’ve been using Linux for more than 10 years (FEDORA, Solus Budgie, Manjaro KDE before).

I also have a Windows 11 session on another SSD, which I use exclusively for ROON at the moment. That’s why I’d find it more practical to install ROON also under Linux FEDORA, which I much prefer to Windows.

But of course, in the event of a problem, switching to Windows is not a major concern.

Best regards.