'Reset Roon ARC' required after Roon 2.0 database restore?

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+
Roon Server: Version 2.0 (build 1128) production
Internal Storage: Samsung SSD 860

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Cable Modem: Arris SB8200

Wireless Router: RT-AX88U
(manual port forwarding rule for ARC)

SB8200 ← Ethernet → RT-AX88U ← Ethernet → Nucleus+

Connected Audio Devices

Pixel 6 Pro / Android 13 (Home 5GHz Wi-Fi or 5G/LTE cellular)
Roon ARC 1.0.022 (build 100049)

Number of Tracks in Library

6,437 tracks

Description of Issue

After completing a Roon 2.0 database restore, I had to reset ARC to get it to sync with my Nucleus+ again. However, prior to resetting ARC, a Windows 10 Roon Remote > Settings > Roon ARC connection test was successful.

Notes

• I restored the 2.0 database mostly as an experiment to see what would happen.
  • Before I reset ARC, I put my phone on both my home 5GHz wi-fi and 5G/LTE cellular. Neither would allow ARC to sync.
  • I have the appropriate RoonServer logs saved if needed.

Is resetting ARC required after restoring a database, or did something not work correctly in my case?

The main reason I ask is because the ARC reset also clears downloads. In the future if I need to do a database restore and I can avoid having to download everything over again, I’d definitely prefer that.

That has been my experience before.

1 Like

Hi @gsuzor91,

There’s a chance that the database restore had some lingering authorization info in Roon that caused ARC to perceive a login error or user ID mismatch.

When you performed the database restore for the Core, did you deeply remove the associated with the previous database by taking the following steps?

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

There’s also a bug with an imminent fix regarding “custom” genre file tags. If you have genres in Roon that originated as Gracenote genres when importing CDs, for instance, we’ve found in rare instances that these custom genre tags will cause an ARC sync error with a fresh database, sometimes resolved by refreshing that database. It’s possible you experienced this bug in passing and resolved it inadvertently.

In any case, is ARC functioning properly now? I understand it’s been some time since your initial inquiry, so we apologize for the extreme delay.

Yes, when I restore a backup I always follow the procedure as you prescribed above.

Hi @connor,
ARC has been functioning properly since I asked the question. In addition to understanding the process, I also wanted to share my experience in case it was unexpected behavior.

To answer your question, I did not follow the deep removal steps when I initially restored. I simply clicked restore from the last automatic overnight backup.

To satisfy my curiosity I just followed the steps you provided. I’m on the latest versions.

• Roon Server - Version 2.0 (build 1143) production
  • ARC - 1.0 (build 64)

Following your steps + restoring the backup I just created resulted with ARC not finding my core again. Since this was purely a test, this time to recover I simply did the following:

1. Stopped RoonServer
  2. Renamed the newly created RoonServer to RoonServer_old2
  3. Renamed RoonServer_old back to RoonServer
  4. Restarted the entire Nucleus+.

Once the core was back up, ARC connected to it again right away.

I do have cd’s in my library and used dBpoweramp to rip them. I didn’t specifically set any genres, but I believe dBpoweramp does set genres in the tags. Not certain if they come from Gracenote or not. I didn’t see the bug you mentioned in the recent release notes. If the fix is still coming, I’m willing to test again when it’s available.

1 Like

Hi @gsuzor91,

Thank you for your very helpful summary, and for sharing publicly on the forums. I’ve passed this along to the QA team.

The most recent release of Roon and ARC (released today, notes here) includes numerous adjacent stability fixes. While we haven’t precisely resolved the underpinning issue with the tag sync error you encountered, I’m curious to hear if you encounter any unpredicted issues on the new build after updating. Hopefully, all is well!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.