Pixel 6 Pro / Android 13 (Home 5GHz Wi-Fi or 5G/LTE cellular)
Roon ARC 1.0.022 (build 100049)
Number of Tracks in Library
Description of Issue
After completing a Roon 2.0 database restore, I had to reset ARC to get it to sync with my Nucleus+ again. However, prior to resetting ARC, a Windows 10 Roon Remote > Settings > Roon ARC connection test was successful.
I restored the 2.0 database mostly as an experiment to see what would happen.
Before I reset ARC, I put my phone on both my home 5GHz wi-fi and 5G/LTE cellular. Neither would allow ARC to sync.
I have the appropriate RoonServer logs saved if needed.
Is resetting ARC required after restoring a database, or did something not work correctly in my case?
The main reason I ask is because the ARC reset also clears downloads. In the future if I need to do a database restore and I can avoid having to download everything over again, I’d definitely prefer that.
Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
There’s also a bug with an imminent fix regarding “custom” genre file tags. If you have genres in Roon that originated as Gracenote genres when importing CDs, for instance, we’ve found in rare instances that these custom genre tags will cause an ARC sync error with a fresh database, sometimes resolved by refreshing that database. It’s possible you experienced this bug in passing and resolved it inadvertently.
In any case, is ARC functioning properly now? I understand it’s been some time since your initial inquiry, so we apologize for the extreme delay.
ARC has been functioning properly since I asked the question. In addition to understanding the process, I also wanted to share my experience in case it was unexpected behavior.
To answer your question, I did not follow the deep removal steps when I initially restored. I simply clicked restore from the last automatic overnight backup.
To satisfy my curiosity I just followed the steps you provided. I’m on the latest versions.
Roon Server - Version 2.0 (build 1143) production
ARC - 1.0 (build 64)
Following your steps + restoring the backup I just created resulted with ARC not finding my core again. Since this was purely a test, this time to recover I simply did the following:
Renamed the newly created RoonServer to RoonServer_old2
Renamed RoonServer_old back to RoonServer
Restarted the entire Nucleus+.
Once the core was back up, ARC connected to it again right away.
I do have cd’s in my library and used dBpoweramp to rip them. I didn’t specifically set any genres, but I believe dBpoweramp does set genres in the tags. Not certain if they come from Gracenote or not. I didn’t see the bug you mentioned in the recent release notes. If the fix is still coming, I’m willing to test again when it’s available.
Thank you for your very helpful summary, and for sharing publicly on the forums. I’ve passed this along to the QA team.
The most recent release of Roon and ARC (released today, notes here) includes numerous adjacent stability fixes. While we haven’t precisely resolved the underpinning issue with the tag sync error you encountered, I’m curious to hear if you encounter any unpredicted issues on the new build after updating. Hopefully, all is well!