RESOLVED: NUC (ROCK) lost connection (Ethernet to eero router) - power outage turned on client steering, needs to be off

Hi. I built a NUC (using Gabster’s YouTube tutorial) to use as a Roon Core several months ago and installed ROCK on it. It worked flawlessly until a power outage a couple of weeks ago.
The NUC is connected via ethernet cable to an eero mesh router about three feet away from it. The eero is also connected by cable to my NAD M50.2 digital player/vault.
Now Roon can no longer find my Core. When I attach a monitor to the NUC and restart it it displays:
Manufacturer: Roon Labs
Model: Roon Optimized Core Kit
Serial: 88A…etc…
Hostname: ROCK
Searching for network address…
If this persists, please check your network connection.
The eero app shows the router to be functioning properly.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks!

I would guess the power outage messed up some network settings or possibly hardware in the NUC - apparently it doesn’t receive a network address from the router, according to the message on the monitor.

Do you have another router in addition to the Eero mesh?

I figured it out with the help of eero tech support. In order for my NUC (running ROCK) to successfully connect to my network via my remote eero mesh router, CLIENT STEERING must be turned OFF in SETTINGS in the eero app.
We had a power outage, and when the eeros came back up they must have defaulted to Client Steering ON.

2 Likes

Hi @MikeC

Just a fellow user here.

Glad you got things sorted.

Just altered you subject and changed category for others who might run into similar troubles with Eero network equipment.

:innocent: