Restoring a Roon backup vs making a new database on a PC or Mac

I’ve successfully backed up 2 copies of my Music folders and database from my Nucleus.

Previously when reinstalling my music library I’ve merely pointed Roon to the music folders and eventually (about a week or so) Roon has added all the albums and Roon would become useable. I decided to verify my library and see if I could run Roon on my mac mini and this time I’m restoring it back using the database backup from my Nucleus. Is it true that using a database backup is quicker than not using a database and starting from scratch by pointing Roon to the music folders and letting it do it’s thing? I’d apreciate some clafication about this subject.

Yes it’s quicker as it doesn’t need to perform realtime analysis of the library it’s just linking back up if music location is the same. It’s still not fast but is quicker. You also don’t lose your history, tags, any edits your made or original dates added.

Just repointing will lose all of that. However when restoring I would still manually disable realtime analysis in settings first, as it does have a tendency to start doing this even from a restore if location has changed which is annoying and will slow it down. It still takes a while to process and longer with large libraries this can’t be avoided but don’t do it fresh each time as your loosing data that’s useful.

If you’re swapping computers then you need to follow the migration instructions. You can find these on the Roon knowledge base as you will need to edit the watched folder as will be different. However not sure you can edit the existing watched folder you were using Nucleus internal storage.