Restoring previous Roonserver DB onto New Core Install on Ubuntu 16.04

Hello,

So I’ve been using Roon for several months now and recently bought a new computer. The previous computer was running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and was setup as a RoonServer Core install. I then used iDevices to manage it as Remotes.

I’ve read the documentation on how to backup my previous RoonServer folder ((under the /opt directory) and did that prior to setting up my new computer. The Roon Services were stopped prior to performing the copy of that folder. This backup was then stored on my NAS while the new system/pc was brought online.

Today was the day to get Roon up and running on my new system using all my old library/db info but to my dismay it seems the documentation doesn’t mention anything about the prompt I was shown as I ran the Roon Server install on this new PC. The prompt which occurred just after the installer does its dependencies check wanted to “Overwrite” the existing RoonServer folder it found in the /OPT directory, which I placed there on purpose since this was meant to be a Restore retaining old settings.

Since the only I option I had was to click “Y” in order to continue the install Roon went ahead and overwrote my backed up data in /OPT basically putting me back to square one as a new install. :rage:

After the install was done and I got into the interface all the above was confirmed and no previous backed up data was in place.:rage:

So with all that said, is there a way to re-copy my backed up data into the newly installed instance of Roon and get my old settings back? Do I simply stop services again, re-copy the data and restart services?

I find it hard to imagine I’m the only one who was prompted by this overwrite question during the re-install but I’m at a loss as to why this seems to be the first post about it :astonished:

Thanks for any help you can provide

Open a terminal window on the new machine and stop Roon Server running:

systemctl stop roonserver

Remove the database folders and copy back that from your NAS.

Restart Roon Server:

systemctl start roonserver

On my ubuntu install the RoonServer software is in /opt but the actual database is in /var/roon/RoonServer. I think you copied the wrong directory.

Good point, wasn’t paying attention and my db is in a custom folder so I didn’t consider db location.

Thanks for your reply.

Well thats unfortunate if the DB is located in /var which as I look at my new install appears to be the case:

/var/roon/RoonServer$ ls -l
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Nov 14 18:13 Cache
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Nov 13 16:55 Database
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 14 18:13 Logs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 13 17:25 Settings
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 14 18:19 Temp

Its probably safe to assume it was that way on my old PC as well which means at this point that data is gone :rage:

This sucks on multiple counts since I sized my /opt volume on the new PC with the assumption that the Roon folder located there was the DB location. Maybe I’ll try to see if I can use “GParted” to resize /var and steal the space from /opt :unamused:

Maybe I’m the only idiot who when reading the directions on performing a backup took what was exactly written as law
but I think it would be good for those directions to have some clarification added on how to do the backup process properly so others don’t have the same issue going forward.

Thanks again for the info and help

Don’t you still have that install intact?