Return of HMV flagship store

It’s a great day and perhaps a sea change? Many of us on here still love to buy our music looks like we are not the only ones with the UKs HMV returning to Oxford St. Hope it stays for as long as it did before.

HMV Oxford Street flagship store reopens four years after closing HMV Oxford Street flagship store reopens four years after closing - BBC News

4 Likes

Good to see this as I love nothing more than browsing record shops, though there seem to be a lot more small record shops in London and other cities now.

Though none of them are the size of a HMV or carry the stock holding.

3 Likes

Loved visiting that store when I lived in London in 2010. Spent many hours browsing on the weekends, and picked up so many albums you can’t get here in the States. Happy they are open again on Oxford Street.

3 Likes

Looking forward to visiting soon. There are quite a few small record shops in and around London (Sounds of the Universe and Rough Trade East are two of my personal favourites in Central London). The new HMV shop will be having in store gigs too.

Michael

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to having a browse during my lunch breaks.

1 Like

This ‘new’ HMV will only appeal to the neophytes willing to pay over-the-odds for a vinyl release of their favourite artist.

Exploitation… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Wow, I used to work next door to HMV and Friday evening after work I’d go in and buy a week’s collection of new releases that caught my fancy. That was over 25 years ago but happy to see the young ones now have the chance.

So? What’s your point?

Tower records in London is the biggest loss.

Many a time in there we’ve been in late night, half cut, buying up the store. Then waking up in the morning thinking
“what have I done”
Bring back the tower.

2 Likes

Yes was a good store and I believe I did the exact same thing on a number of occasions.

I was surprised when it closed down. Their selection was so good. Especially the jazz.
Virgin records also had a brilliant jazz section.
Their Edinburgh store had their jazz behind glass doors so sound from the rest of the shop didn’t invade.
We got to know the jazz chap very well. His vinyl was so good.
If it remember correctly every virgin store always had their jazz separated in that way.
High class shops.
Things have gone down hill so badly.
The so called vinyl revival hasn’t revived old customs of customer care.

Hmm never went to those bits, a tad elitist if you ask me. Not sure why the same could not be done of all music, Jazz doesn’t hold an exclusive on quality.

You’re right. It doesn’t. But the sales floors shouid be separated so they can play their own music
That’s what it was about.
Makes sense too.
Virgin used to have different music in different sections. The rock had rock etc.
It wasnt just jazz that had its own music and space

The reality is that pop music would be dominating the main floor and you would not be able to hear other genres. I am a classical music lover and the larger record stores always had a separate classical section. These sorts of stores have disappeared.