Rework the iOS app?

An odd feature request? Yes, perhaps…
What im am requesting a rework of the iOS app for two main reasons:

Theres an annoying reconnect wait of a few seconds when returning to the Roon app after an unspecified time. You double tap the home button and select Roon app. Roon first displays it’s previous screen and then momentarily goes black with the animated Roon icon and then goes back to your previous view. (Unless you were browsing albums or artists some pages in… :() It’s hardly comparable but the Bluesound App has got a nicer behaviour and never loses its view, and a few other control apps also.

Endpoint capability, yes i know it’s difficult with the current development tools but it’s a feature that would really be appreciated.

Oh, and a third one too, but i think this one is in the works; Portrait mode, damnit! :wink:

I have portrait with iPad Pro although I never use it.

Hmm, how is that even possible? It should be the very same app, right?
Anyway, good for you, i’d like it too! :slight_smile:

This is a screen shot. It’s a large iPad pro

Portrait mode is available for all 12,9" iPad Pro’s. Other iPads lack the horizontal resolution to render the current interface in portrait mode.

Okaj, thanks to both of you for confirming this. It seems a bit far reached that an iPad with Retina screen resolution should be insufficient though.
Im convinced it is fully possible to achieve a very nice view in portrait mode for iPads also.

Not at all: while the retina resolution of a regular iPad is 2048 x 1536 pixels, interfaces are still adressed in points, which leaves 1/4 of that (1024 x 768 points).

Luckily, Roon devs share that conviction. It will be adressed in an upcomping UI overhaul (no timeframe communicated, so don’t expect anytime soon. :-)).

1 Like

the app works fine for me, i love it since i’ve never had a problem with it… luckily… my stress level is high (doctor suggested hgh… so gotta search for hgh pharmacy) right now and only music helps me get out of all this chaos.

and btw, that’s not good news…

One can control Roon in portrait mode on a 5" 1920x1080 441dpi android phone, but not on a 9.7" 2048x1536 264 ppi iPad. Please do something about this!

Talk to Apple – because 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution on an iPad is really 1024 x 768 effective resolution. Apple, not Roon, forces that limitation.

AJ

The retina hardware pixel/physical resolution is 2048x1536, while the logical resolution is 1024x768, meaning the latter is the number of pixels that the device appears to have to running code. The window property window.devicePixelRatio is available to determine the ratio between physical and logical pixels. What this means is that roon’s UI would have to be designed for a 1024x768 pixel space.

According to this post: New ipad pro 10.5 inch support
1112x834 (iPad 10.5") is not enough for the current UI design but 1366x1024 is (iPad 12"). It seems to me that roonlabs could scale the portrait layout to1024x768 for this device, knowing it will be scaled up and rendered well at the retina resolution. However, I’ve never written any code targeting iOS so this may be more complicate. I guess the wait will continue.

I also think that Roon deserves a better looking app. It works fine, however the UX / UI could be improved.

Define ‘better looking’ please for the benefit of the Roon Devs so they know what they should be aiming for…

I hear you mate, and I assure you I could create a long list of UX improvements, however that is not my job. They simply need an overhaul. Just check out Tidal or Spotify for instance and you will see the difference. Anyone who knows about UX could agree. Go click on search icon on top right, then try to click on “X” to close it. Even that doesn’t work. That was the first thing I tested. I feel like that the app was not developed with native language of ios, i.e. swift, but probably with a front-end web application framework such as angular js which makes it somewhat clunky and not as fluid as a natively developed app. Devs can correct me if I am wrong.

Go on, make a list and hit Reply. It is all good for discussion on here and ‘food for thought’. This was posted under ‘Feature Requests’ so it is your job if you think it can be improved.

1 Like

That doesnt sound like a bad idea at all, I will probably do it once I spend enough time with it and gather enough feedback over the course of time. Now, Im mostly sticking to the core which is macbook air, need more time with the app. This would be under my own thread though. Cheers.

You are right it wasn’t it is developed to have the same look and feel across all platforms. It is built on .NET using Xamarin. See this for more and the less link I posted in here.

Thanks for the clarification mate. Much appreciated. That was exactly my point. Although it is nice to have the same look / feel and consistency on all platforms, we are now living on a mobile first world and i think it should be prioritised.