RIP Don Everly, the eldest of the Everly Brothers

The second Everly brother has died at 84: Don Everly was born in Brownie, Kentucky, to Ike and Margaret Everly, who were folk and country music singers. Phil Everly was born to the couple in Chicago, where the Everlys moved from Brownie when Ike grew tired of working in the coal mines. RIP

1 Like

The Everly Brothers were certainly influential in the early days of rock ‘n’ roll. Their voices harmonized beautifully. My favorite remains “Crying in the Rain,” co-written by Carole King and Howard Greenfield. Interesting story: On a whim, two Aldon songwriting partnerships decided to switch partners for a day – Gerry Goffin (who normally worked with King) partnered with Greenfield’s frequent writing partner, Jack Keller, leaving King and Greenfield to pair up for the day. Despite the commercial success of their collaboration, King and Greenfield never wrote another song together.

2 Likes

Thank you. Musical history is always interesting to me. Recently I watched Dave Mustaine talk to Lars of Metallica as to what impact it had when Mustaine was expelled from the group, and his struggles thereafter. In a similar vain, Don Felder writing much of Hotel California yet excluded from some credits. Often important to realize that people can be creative without necessarily being “nice.”

1 Like