RIP Dusty Hill, bassist

Dusty Hill, bassist for ZZ Top, has passed away at 72.

2 Likes

The day you knew would come, but never thought about. Time to play Tres Hombres.

1 Like

1 Like

I saw ZZ Top the first time in about 1970, just prior to the first album being released. A tiny venue in Ft. Worth, Texas. Great show. And I saw them many times through about 1975, then once about 3 years ago. I love their first 3 albums. I have most of their catalog but can live without most of it. I loved the re-released CDs with original mastering (as compared to the horrible 1980s “MTV” mastering they did on the early albums. They were the best at what they did. RIP Dusty.

edit: His brother, Rocky Hill, was a great Texas blues guitarist.

1 Like

A very sad day indeed, yet so strange; I was just listening to “Afterburner” first thing this morning before my day of meetings.

1 Like

I believe my favorite is La Grange for the guitar solo, harmonics.

Mmmmm good. Classic Tex-Mex meal (gatefold of Tres Hombres album). I used to eat many meals like this growing up back in Texas. Good thing I don’t live there anymore, as my health would not be good with such meals too often. I’m told by a friend, who is a friend of Billy Gibbons,* that the picture was from an actual restaurant that the band used to visit. He told me the name, but I forget.

*same friend got us free tickets and backstage passes to ZZ Top on a tour 3 or 4 years ago (with Jeff Beck opening!)

Lucky guy.

1 Like

Photo was from Leo’s Mexican Restaurant, Houston, Texas

1 Like

Photo is of the boxed set