RIP Jeno Jando (Naxos Records)

Bit late maybe but I spotted the death of Jeno Jando recently

He recorded for Naxos and in the earlier years was their mainstay artist , he recorded lots of complete works eg Beethoven, Mozart etc.

Maybe a Budget label but the DDD recordings are normally excellent

2 Likes

A great artist, sadly underrated. His 90s cycle of Haydn piano sonatas was wonderful, and perhaps only Brendel played Haydn better at the time.

1 Like

I bought the Naxos set then found an absolute bargain John McCabe set, ($1 per CD) Brendel only did 11 of em , the other 2 did all

Have you tried Marc-Andre Hamelin , pretty good and modern recordings :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes - I am a great admirer of Marc-Andre Hamelin. His recent CPE Bach performances were also exceptional. I hadn’t heard McCabe’s performances before today, but they are still available on Qobuz. It was interesting to compare his approach (which I feel is slower and perhaps more traditional) to Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, who manages to evoke the tonality and lightness of touch of a fortepiano whilst playing a traditional grand. And who also plays Haydn and Mozart beautifully. Starting the day with Haydn and some French sunshine (I am currently on holiday) can only be a good thing!