RIP Tom Verlaine

1 Like

Now that’s terrible news, one of my guitar heroes.

3 Likes

Oh… RIP Tom Verlaine :frowning:

I shall be playing Marquee Moon later.

Awful news :cry:

The impact craters are coming closer. Very sad, RIP

Well 2023 is really shaping up to be bad news for our heroes so far😟
Rip Tom!

2 Likes

More sad news. RIP.

It’s been slowly increasing for years and will only get worse for a long time, and when it gets better it’s only because ourselves are close to giving up the ghost. Sorry for the gloomy outlook

4 Likes

Yikes, any more talk like that and I’ll be reaching for my Best of Sarah McLachlan album…

3 Likes

To me an all time great, Marquee Moon is just one the best guitar albums of all time. Sadly missed.

2 Likes

Toll the bell, pay the private eye. Alls well, 20th century dies.

Not his track, but captures the mood of watching a century and its generations pass.

1 Like

Maybe I’ll just manually remove dates of death from all my artists in Roon

1 Like

R.I.P Tom.

My Tom Verlaine journey started in early high school…to cut a long story short…Phil Calvert (Boys Next Door/Nick Cave) recommended the album Marquee Moon to me. Well, I was stunned to see him working in this reocrod store (Missing Link)…awe struck I did as he suggested, emptied my coins & never turned back.

Turned my mates onto them, bought everything in sight (including rare singles & 12" singles), which I’ve cherished to this day.

Robert Forster says ‘Venus’ is the most perfect song. Early Go-Betweens tracks in particular I Need Two Heads is very Television/Tom Verlaine.

RIP Tom :heart:

1 Like

Very sad to hear of Tom’s passing. I had a mixed relationship with his music. When Marquee Moon was first released I didn’t like it. It sounded too bright, clean and trebelly for my then taste. Also the dissonances didn’t properly resolve. Much later in life I came to like it and realised that Tom knew a lot more about music than I did.

2 Likes

All the Television albums are very bright sounding and on a bright system could be pretty harsh a listen.

1 Like