Ripping SACD's for Separate CD and DVD Tracks

Un-dithered PCM is just a distortion generator and it should never be used. After doing any DSP on PCM, you always need to dither/noise-shape.

Look , you can do this and it is not terribly hard but you need several pieces of software and the appropriate hardware . I’ve ripped several hundred SACDs but I , fortunately , have a stockpile of Oppo disc player . There are a few others you can use including a Pioneer disc player released last year . If you Google DSD to ISO conversion or something of the like , you will come across complete and easily followed instructions from Computer Audiophile . As I said , not hard if you can find a used Oppo ( selling at a premium over their last full retail price ) that would work best .

A used Oppo is super expensive and not one bit better than the $50 Sony player I bought used off of eBay……

1 Like

Unless bits are not bits :slight_smile:

Sony players can’t be hacked to rip DSD/ISO files from the SACD.

Really? Then I wonder how I am doing it with a Sony BDP-BX510?

You are misinformed!

Look at post #16 here:

There are at least 15 different Sony players that can be used to rip SACDs.

The DSD layer is very good but still far less resolution than the master - - roughly 2.6Mz for the DSD layer Vs. 11,2 MZ for most digital master recordings . If there is smart reader out there please correct me as necessary . I am not a recording engineer . ps. in addition to my Oppo stockpile I still have two of the original Playstations ,without Sony’s damnable upgrades ,that with some diddling allowed SACDs to be converted to ISOs from which the DSD file could be captured . Ah , those were the days .

1 Like

That doesn’t mean that all of them can be used. I have 3 Sony players and only one works.

I didn’t say that all of them can be used. I said “at least 15 different Sony players that can be used to rip SACDs.” I provided a link to a list and directions on how to do it.

@Martin_Kelly said “Sony players can’t be hacked to rip DSD/ISO files from the SACD.” That is saying that none of the Sony players can be used to rip DSD/ISO files from the SACD which is plain false.

1 Like

You are correct.

Sure, many/most originals and masters are of higher resolution. Have you heard any of these with direct comparison of the DSD64 and DSD256 (or DXD)? What do you say about the differences?

I’m not a recording engineer either, but I believe DSD64 masters are - or used to be - produced from DXD files, which is PCM at 24bit/352.8kHz. DSD is not ideal for post-production.
Digital eXtreme Definition - Wikipedia

1 Like

No need to hack them. Autoscript is all that’s required.

That’s true and for the reason you state. So, I will include DXD in my question above.

No, and i think it’s quite rare to record directly to DSD (in any resolution). I have seen some recordings where the final step has been mixing the source DXD audio channels and recording to 19ips reel 2 reel, and finally recording the tape to dsd256.

I think Sound Liaison generally have a intricate process for file creation, like the one described.

An analog intermediary is inherently unappealing.

… but it’s often done. People like the sound of tape saturation, in much the same way they like the sound of vintage mic preamps and compressors.

1 Like

Maybe it’s also somewhat historical? One of the selling points of DSD as a distribution format was that you didn’t need to go through PCM during recording and later during playback (that’s the first D in DSD). I guess the majority of masters back then were analog tapes and analog mastering was still common for new recordings, so you could simply get your DSD master just by capturing the master tape in DSD.

Unfortunately but it is misused nostalgia.

Ditto.
IMHO, it is no longer needed nor acceptable today.

Totally agree on the “needed” part. As far as “acceptable”, people still buy vinyl…