Ripping vinyl and volume leveling?

Hello,

I just rip some vinyl records to my computer, and added them to Roon, they sound fantastic and im happy, how good the result is! But I notice a difference in the one of the albums I already have ripped from a CD from before. Is the volum leveling. As you can see in the picture there is a difference in the volum leveling, what does this do, and should I do something about it? Just look at the picture of the playing graph(or whats its called) and you can see that the vinyl I ripped, is very low, and you can’t almost see it as clear as the cd rip.

Volume leveling does not affect the waveform display. What you are seeing from your vinyl rip is an inherently low recording level, which could have been increased 10 dB without clipping.

AJ

1 Like

Thanks, then i need to find out how to increase it, and rip again:)

Depends on the software you are using. In Audacity, which is a great audio editor, but doesn’t directly support ASIO (so you may want to record with different software – Reaper is very good – then use Audacity for editing), you can use the Normalize function and set it to your own tolerance of proximity to clipping. So you don’t necessarily have to have the levels up during the recording - you can do it in the software without damaging anything. You can even do it to the files you’ve already recorded.

I use VinylStudio:) just change the gain on my PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter, Its better now:)

It’s all about getting the gain set right in your ADC hardware. You need to stay far away from clipping your converter but also a hot enough signal to get the best out of it.

1 Like

By clipping, you mean that if the sound level reach 100, and it goes over level 100, it clips?

Nothing wrong with having at least 10db of headroom above the loudest part of the album. Clicks and pops might clip but not sure if that’s important.

1 Like

Okey, thanks for the help, I tried to rip a album last night, and after changing the Gain, I had peak of 81, so I think thats pretty close:)

Yep, should be plenty of signal to get a nice capture.

Yes, I think the same:), now Im ready for ripping and World Cup matches!

You could digitally normalize across all tracks later if you wanted more volume and had the head room.

I’ve used Izotope’s Ozone Maximizer to get the levels up a bit after the capture, staying below clipping to preserve DR of course. I liked what it did over regular normalization. Of course I wasn’t going for pristine and accurate as I also cleaned the capture.

How much cleanup, do you do after? do get rid of clicks and pops?

I manually remove every click and pop I can isolate in Izotope RX.