RME ADI-2 DAC or Pro with Roon?

Noticed Magnus saying the RME ADI-2 is very close to Pre Box S2 Digital so now second guessing my self. As I know with external LPS connected to Allo Katana the PB S2 does not sound as good. Seeing the LPS adds 300 to cost is not a fair comparison…now concerned perhaps the difference between the DAC and Record player is as good as it gets for my budget.

I have an ADI-2 dac with Allo US-Bridge as a Roon endpoint. Excellent dac. A standard rpi would be fine with this DAC. It’s engineering is excellent and properly isolated from external noise so it won’t make a difference.

1 Like

I said that? I have the RME dac now, and had the Pro-Ject dac before, and the RME dac sound quite a lot better, at least in my setup used as a preamp to power amps.

Its not immune to improvements on USB though, USB tweaks still improves it. I just got this, and it gives a nice jump up in sound quality compared to USB or toslink directly from computer:
https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

1 Like

Perfect order will be placed today.

I will use ADI-2 with Digione Sig for now. At least until the USBridge Signature drivers are part of an OS and have read some reviews confirming it is as good network streamer as the USBridge.
I like the fact you can now have USBridge signature with Digione Signature so easy to compare USB to Coaxial SPDIF.
Thanks for feedback

Thanks Magnus appreciate your feedback.
Was speed reading entire thread before bed. Have you looked into Allo USBridge for USB streamer purposes? Allo have a completely new unit USBridge Signature. Which has made improvements on USB so think I will try that first to improve USB.
Wife is really looking forward to getting Allo Katana on her system. Will do some comparisons to ADI-2 first.
Doesn’t sound like the ADI-2 needs to be left on all the time either. happy to be able to purchase a well engineered unit that will do what is required.

I have the old Allo USBridge but haven’t tested the new one. But I run some DSP on my computer (VST plugins) so can’t use a streamer, which is why I bought the USB-SPDIF cleaner/reclocker/converter.

For a streamer and Roon endpoint, I would buy the Allo DigiOne Signature, unless you absolutely need USB. So much easier to handle spdif than USB so I am guessing it sounds better than the new Allo USBridge Signature (but its just a guess).

ADI-2 is a great DAC: I feed it with both SPDIF (IQaudIO Digi+ hat) and USB (Raspberry Pi4).
Frankly, me and my friends are not able to find any differences between the two sources, even when using a good pair of headphones (Beyerdynamic dt 880 pro).
Before buying an Allo USBridge, I would really double check if there is any audible differences w.r.t. the Pi4. Is there someone that has already performed such A-B comparison?

1 Like

I will let you know, I own a Allo DigiOne Signature already, will be testing on weekend.
Compare to Allo Katana, also have a NUC I can Test USB with…straight up without any treatments.

Cheers

1 Like

So went for high bit rate DSD have 3 DSD128 albums. One I can download at up to 512 but 5gb in size for an hour of music btw. Beyond resolution of my system but will double blind test.
The RPI 3b+ with DigiOne sig a red light came on in Roon remote could see numbers fluctuating. Out came the NUC a clone. Bought a couple of years ago for another project. Remember ASRock saying J3355B-ITX used improved caps for sound. They meant the power section of MB as well.
Turned off all onboard devices in Bios cept USB of course. Disabled power management in bios. It already had a very good used Intel desktop NIC installed, bypassing onboard Realtek which can hog CPU time. This being Intel Celeron CPU you don’t want that.
Played a few DSD64 albums and well the Pi is disconnected (for now). Pi with DG1 sounded very similar a bit of an edge 5-10% this could be subjective, I like Native driver (Asio), sounds better but I also still like sound of records. Believe the Allo was more accurate if you enjoy digital over analog sound, might like DG1 sound better. NUC runs cool (you don’t want switched fan which is included, but a 3 pin this allows monitoring via J3355M. This way if heat goes up fans spins faster. The fans also allow for a bit of cooling for Pi. Bring it down 3-5 degrees assuming of course you don’t have much going on in background running.

My NUC:
ASrock J3355B-ITX + 2 x4gb sodimm (laptop memory)
Antec ISK Series ISK 300-150 (case and power supply)
Intel PT Desktop Adapter PCIe
old 60gb Sata SSD. USB is too slow.
Win 10 Pro (Home would Work)

Running Windows 10 updated flash to v.33, installed ROON with Asio MADIface USB.
Roon detected Native by default 32bit, 768k, up to DSD256.

After re-configuring power cabling, moving equipment around still have a slight ground hum at loudest volumes. Need to be next to speakers to hear but no other sources have this buzz. (not uncommon to PC or MAC when connecting to stereo)

So used one of these: iFi AUDIO iDefender3.0 USB Power Noise Suppressor, ground hum gone absolute silence. Bit of a change in sound for the better.

So happy with this DAC

Back to the music.

PS.
If offending with multiple posts I could move to its own thread?

No you didn’t but were right next to person who said that. Guess your name is more memorable.
Haha

1 Like

Hi Wakajazz, I have just ordered the RME ADI 2 Dac which I am planning to feed from my USBridge. Currently using a Mojo. I am reassured that you have said that you have successfully done this, but would like to ask a couple of questions. Does your USBridge run on Dietpi? Did you have to install any drivers or reconfigure in any way to get the RME to talk to the USBridge? Thanks

Hi there,

Jfyi my current roon chain is

– Roon core running on Nuc
– Rasp Pi 4 running ropieee with Flirc IR remote connected via USB to
– RME ADI–2 Dac

controlled by Harmony Companion.

Works perfectly!

1 Like

Thanks Niklas, that’s reassuring. Have you tried connecting the Adi 2 direct to the Nuc? I am wondering whether the usbridge is needed at all as I have read that it’s quite good at cleaning up the usb input. I will certainly try both with and without the usbridge once I get the Adi 2 to see if I can hear any difference.

Philip, I did not try it but it should work without any problems. One thing to keep in mind is that the out-of-the-box NUC has a fan which is audible with low volume levels. As I often listen at low volume this was a no-go for me.

You mentioned the second point, at least in theory a NUC is more noisy as a rasp pi.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Thats where a custom built clone computer is the way to go if you want Native drivers. Have three fans in mine that are inaudible. I did purchase two additional for case to ensure it would not get louder when under load.
Then again to Keep it Simple Pi is much easier for non techie folk

Most people on the forum, think of computers as something off the shelf, or a NUC. None of which are close to the processing power, silence, and power control that can be done by doing a true custom built desktop.

1 Like

Fortunately my Nuc is only an i3 and is fanless. I now expect the sound to be improved with the usbridge in line, but I will make the comparison with direct connection to the Nuc.

2 Likes

Understood but the term NUC also refers to motherboards based on same chipset as the Intel pre-assembled units, 4x4 motherboard based, While my clone is small form factor ITX unit. Even the NUC can be purchased as a board and added to an after market case This is a link on Intel Canada if broken for other countries try to google “intel nuc after market case should come up on first page” that link to after market cases on Intels website is 79 pages long" No way you can’t find a silent case in that mix probably for less than new hardware based on Pi or other options. As a Win 10 machine having problems its matured 1809 has a service pack release. Set to always on power management disable monitor turning off (careful if you have a TV that has image retention issues). It is important to note there is power management in windows and in uefi bios that need to be disabled. Be very surprised if you can’t locate after market silent fan for NUC’s. Go to specs and review see whats used and Google sure Amazon, Ebay, etc would have solutions if not a good local computer store. Always check for reviews. Building a clone can be just as much fun as building your stereo both do require research, time and some patience. Even with experience there was some testing settings to see what worked and what didn’t.

Regardless I found my clone which did require iDefender3.0 for ground loop buzz, is better than the Allo DigiOne with a Pi 3b+ for which the DigiOne clean side is connected to R-core LPS. The dirty side I have tried to both SMP and LPS and makes no difference (everything I use except power amps are plugged into power conditioner with power strips (bars) that do not have surge protection). Now for CD quality its same, it’s with HiRes especially DSD 64 and DSD128 clone with Native driver pulls out ahead.
So to do this I put both devices in a group in Roon then switched back and forth using the RME remote repeating same passage or nuance on each source. When you reach these point’s in comparison where you need a volunteer while blind folded to help switch back and forth to truly find what you like best. You are successful because they both sound amazing. I prefer the clone.

If you are wondering I have Paradigm Studio 100 v3, Adcom 545mkii which is fed by Marantz 7012 (used preamp only) all analog inputs have pure direct enabled so none of processing is involved. I also have a Rega P6 with Goldring G1042 feeding Moon LPS110v2 to 7012 so have three very good sources to compare. Yes I have confirmed the Marantz is clean and doesn’t affect sound stage compared to an old Adcom 555 mkii preamp a friend still uses. My last step is a Moon or Bryston stereo power amp in new year.

I do have a background in both electronics and computers.

Still very interested in seeing what people switching from NUC to Allo Usbridge Sig say.

I do like being able to turn on TV, surf web or let a visitor be able to check email, being a photographer too have my photos from my website playing in slideshow when I have company…

Sorry to revive an old thread but did anyone test this with a NUC running ROCK, as that’s the USB o/p I would use to run this from if I get one… Thanks in advance!

This loudness function sounds great. I also listen late in the evening with the family sleeping.

Do you or anybody else using this DAC with Roon know if device volume control works over USB or a Pi USB bridge. In other words can I change the volume in Roon and it reflects on the RME and the other way round if I chance volume on the RME will it reflect in Roon?

Also does the the RME volume control work on the digital outputs especially AES over the breakout cable? … just realized that only the pro version has digital out but perhaps somebody here still knows.