ROCK as Endpoint Bridge Only

There is a problem with leaving an unused ROCK core up. When I went to connect via my iPhone, iPad, and another PC they all wanted me to decommission the NEW Core. Since I obviously did not want to do that I eventually figured out that I could temporarily turn off the service on the old Core, connect these new devices to the new Core and then bring the old one back online since I still needed it as an endpoint.

It would be slicker to either have two versions of ROCK or be able to selectively disable the server service while leaving Bridge up…

Thanks!

2 Likes

ROCK is intended to run the core. Even the name Roon Optimised Core Kit indicates this. Rather than misuse Rock, if you want an endpoint install your choice of Linux distro, windows, osx or whatever and then install roonbridge.

This is a feature request thread. Perhaps Roon is willing to listen to what a user might find useful?

+1
This has been requested several times. I am hoping Roon will produce a “lean / Bridge only” version of ROCK one of these days.
Installing a Linux distro + Roon Bridge is way more inconvenient. The Linux distro needs to be kept up to date separately. While this is fairly easy with say dietpi, it still requires the user to SSH into the box and run the update manually every now and then.
The Celeron NUCs make excellent USB endpoints and having a ROCK like piece of software on it that is updated in one go like ROCK would make these USB endpoints so much more convenient to use.

1 Like

I hope too.
Because you can use the HDMI from the NUC for Multichannel Output with an AVR.

There’s nothing to stop you using a ROCK Roon as an endpoint only. Sure, you may have to tell your Control devices to continue to connect to your current Core - but this should be a once-only operation. Once connected to a Core, Control devices remain connected to it through power cycles. If they do get disconnected, this points to a network issue.

Thanks Goeff.

I eventually moved to running Core on Windows Server 2019 using Audiophile Optimizer and now use AudioLinux on a separate endpoint. Works great. AudioLinux lets you run Bridge or Core or both and to do it loaded entirely into memory as ramroot. My endpoint boots from a USB drive, has no internal drive(s) and once loaded I can then remove even the USB stick.

Perhaps the new 1.7 version of Roon made some updates to ROCK.