ROCK could write to HFS+ partitions?

Roon Rock could write to HFS+ partitions? I currently run Roon Core on a Mac Mini to which is connected a 40TB Drobo 5C formatted as HFS+. I am thinking of migrating the core from that Mac Mini to an Intel NUC. Searching, I have read old comments that said that Roon Rock could not write to HFS+, only read, because Linux does not have that ability. However there are Linux programs and distros capable of doing it. Is there any update in the short term with this feature? I have also read https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-optimized-core-kit and it doesn’t differentiate between filesystem types, it looks like it can work with all, but all equally?

Rock. Cannot write to hfs+ partitions. If you want to request that as a feature update, then please make a post if the Feature Request section.

Why would you migrate? Is the current oc not working?

Thank you. It’s a 2012 Mac Mini i7 with 16Gb RAM that has worked fine up to version 1.7. With version 1.8 I get very low transfer rates and stalls when transferring files from iMac to Mac Mini connected by Samba and the Roon interface moves a little less smoothly, it takes a little longer everything.

M1? You know mac’s and it seems to be fast enough.

How does roon affect your samba transfer rates? :thinking:

It is possible. But Roon Rock interests me because it can go ten years without having to touch anything else. A linux dedicated to process a single application can be a better alternative than running a whole operating system designed for other things.

I don’t know, but it is an appreciable difference in this device to go from version 1.7 to 1.8.

Are you transferring you files via the built in Apple filesharing using the finder? Or are you dropping them onto the roon client app?

I guess I’m confused as to the the way you’re transferring the files and/or where you’re transferring them to.

I am transferring from the /Picard folder to the /16bits folder via Path Finder app which is a better solution than Finder. Also with iStatMenus I see the transfer speed between the two Macs (iMac 2017 with Big Sur, Mac Mini 2012 with Catalina) and it seems slower and choppier than a two months ago.

Also, if I turn on simultaneously JRiver to analyze new tracks and save the analysis in the tags of the new files, the music is choppy, which didn’t happen before. I could be using several applications with the Drobo connected by Samba and save tags with Meta app while listening to music and Roon would scan the changes in the folder. Naturally slower than by direct connection, but it wasn’t a big problem. Now I’m also having to consider if I could get a Drobo 8D with two simultaneous thunderbolt connections and fix this.

I can see that audio may be choppy if other tasks are happening. I have the same problem at times but it’s not because of transfer speeds, it’s usually due to heavy processor usage.

Transfer speeds between the macs shouldn’t be affected by roon though. I use OS X file sharing transfers all the time, even windows to Mac using shared drives via smb and see over 100mb/sec transfer speeds regularly. I even remote access from an iPad using screens. Using roon on Mac OS 10.13.6 on a hackintosh. Also hosting Plex, running hqplayer to send DSD256 to a naa and 2 raid10 arrays via softraid, one array internal SATA (8 drives) and the other in an external thunderbolt enclosure.

So it’s a bit of a complicated mess of a hackintosh, but no transfer slowdowns from roon and quite stable… I beat the crap out of this machine! Runs 24/7 as well.

Maybe you are running High Sierra and there is some problem between Catalina and Big Sur. In fact at Apple they are pending to give a complete solution to their Thunderbolt, USB-C and USB-3 drivers. This issue has brought several failures in the Drobo range. Drobo has now stopped production and it is very very difficult to get an 8D. I will continue to wait a little longer for 11.6.3 to appear in the hope that Drobo can adapt their firmware to the new specs or that Roon updates will continue to fix bugs.