ROCK in NUC vs Windows 11

I read already a few topics on this subject, but here it goes…

I have Roon server running on a NUC/Windows11 living room PC.
This same NUC is also the source for the DAC, and it stays on 24/7.

On the other hand, I have the possibility to convert an older NUC to a ROCK server without spending too much to make it functional.

My question is just whether I would have any advantage in transferring the server/library functions from the Windows PC to a dedicated ROCK, at least in terms of server reliability and stability.
In the end, I still need to keep the Windows PC on while listening to music.

For example, I use ARC a lot and I need the reliability for when I am not at home sometimes for a few days, in which I can’t locally reset the device if something is wrong.

Anything I may be missing ?
Thanks for the feedback.

Switching core won’t make ARC more reliable I can tell you that much. It’s as unreliable on any platform. But overall ROCK is less maintenance and can be left running without much need for further interaction from a user. No constant updates that reset or stop things working. Windows gives you the advantage of Remote Desktop access but if you have a vpn home you can connect via Rocks web interface to restart it if needed.

1 Like

I use a NUC with ROCK. This NUC is also my DAC for my primary music installation. All my music files are on my NAS. This combination works like a rock! I’m very satisfied.

1 Like

Yes, but only because you avoid all the Windows update nonsense.

ROCK is the best way, other than the Nucleus, to run Roon Server.

2 Likes

You may not like them or the way they are implemented, but OS updates are not nonsense. They are simply necessary. I’ll leave it at that.

2 Likes

Certainly not nonsense from a purely Windows point of view, but I have to agree they can get in the way when looking only at the 24/7 operation of Roon server.

Not that I couldn’t wait a few minutes at night for Windows to reboot after an update, but it has happened to me that Roon server didn’t start automatically after that, even if it was set for automatic start.
Not a major issue if I’m close, but rather frustrating if I wouldn’t be home to restart it manually.

If you set it up correctly (with auto-logon) and it still happens, that would be something Room team should look into. It hasn’t happened to me.

Counterpoint - After 2 years I upgraded my Intel NUC from ROCK to Ubuntu Server “mock”, and a few months ago to AudioLinux. I only wish I had taken the plunge sooner. The steps documentation could be clearer but it was worth it for me once I figured it out.

• It has significantly improved the responsiveness of my roon remote experience vs ROCK
  • I was tired of having to regularly reboot ROCK, I know many have not had issues but I was rebooting weekly
  • Please no flames, but I believe SQ has also improved, perhaps from running in RAM mode or dedicating cores to sound duties?
  • I also have this setup to run Firefox on boot and use that as a roon display which is something ROCK could never do.

Highly recommended.

Do you have to qualify everything? You’re really getting on my nerves. :laughing:

That may be, but it defeats the purpose of having a semi-turnkey solution that most people can implement on their own. Not everyone is or wants to be a Linux wonk and most people have no issues with a ROCK installation. :wink:

1 Like

AudioLinux can be installed from a USB Key with only a web browser.

1. Download image to USB stick
  2. Boot from USB
  3. Transfer/Install to NUC
  4. Boot/Update/install audio services which in addition to roon include HQPlayer, Squeezelite, Spotify, UPNP, etc.

It might not be for everyone, but a Linux “wonk”, I am not… :slight_smile:

Also great support from @Piero_Olmeda. The only downside is that it’s not free. For me personally, it’s been my best roon upgrade.

When it comes to security, we should always send the right message and never suggest or encourage people to skip updates. Better annoyed than sorry.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the inputs.
I’m very curious to try ROCK at some point, just for the sake of experimenting with it, and I like the idea of a server independent from Windows too.

On the other hand if I manage to sort out the automatic launch of the Roon Server on Windows, perhaps that might still be the better option for me, since I already keep this PC running 24/7.

The time when auto launch failed was following a Windows update, in which windows automatically restarted during the night to complete the update, so I’m assuming it had something to do with that fact.
On starts and reboots initiated by the user, Roon Server always launches automatically in the background.

I ran Roon Server on Windows for a number of years before switching to a NUC running ROCK. Roon worked fine under Windows but there were times that something caused Roon to quit working - windows update, windows blue screen, reboots, etc… and that was occasionally annoying. That just never happens with ROCK for me. It never reboots unless there’s a power outage. Roon updates are handled without any issues. I realize that may not be everyone’s experience, but it is mine and I don’t hesitate to highly recommend NUC/ROCK to anyone that is an avid user of Roon.

When you install RoonServer and run it on Windows, it creates an icon in the notification section. Right click on it and select “Start at Login”. Roon does require a login. I just setup an Autologin which works.

Some are running it so RoonServer starts on reboot:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, will check it out.

Just yesterday, I had windows update and reboot automatically during the night.
After reboot, Windows loads up again and stays in the sign-in page waiting for the password, and during this time Roon Server is not accessible until I sign-in.

Removing Windows the password to sign in not an option for me as I use bitlocker, but I can imagine there will be ways to make specific programs to load before signing in to Windows.

Although I’m just using RoonServer 24/7 on a Windows for a couple months, this has been the only downside so far.

1 Like

No need to remove the password, just use autologon.

But isn’t this defeating the purpose of having to enter a password in the first place ?

The reason I keep the password is to prevent access to windows in case it gets stolen, and the drive is also encrypted.

I suppose you’d do that in a separate account?

Good point. Worth cheching out.

It was only after I started this discussion that I become more aware of the limitations of Roon Server to load automatically at the Windows sign in screen, and how it can hinder the service continuity of a PC that can remain unattended for long periods of time.

Now, after searching the forum for this particular issue, I realise this is not new and that I have some catching up to do.