ROCK install guide: Step 7: using ROCK

“Start ROON remote or ROON”

On what device? Kinda important point. The NUC will be a headless server, so that’s not the answer.

Want to understand before i begin.

On any device you like, iPhone, iPad, Android Phone, Android Tablet, Windows PC, Mac PC…

I have ROCK on NUC8I7 with remote controllers on iPad, Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 Laptop and Android phone.

thank you. Its probably worth noting that in the install instructions.

Looking forward

G

@Just_Me, did you start your Roon experience with ROCK? I’m trying to understand how you got into this very uncommon situation.

First what “uncommon situation”?

No, i’ve been running the demo, then actual Roon for a couple of months on a very old MacBook Pro. Bought NUC to use as dedicated headless server. Why?

That one doesn’t know where to run Roon/RoonRemote

Generally, a person would start by trying Roon on a mac/pc/linux setup, and then decide much later to have a dedicated Roon OS based device like ROCK+NUC or Nucleus. At that point, they have a very good idea about how the Roon architecture fits their use cases, devices, and environment.

Your original question got me thinking you might have installed ROCK first (or were about to), so you never knew anything about Roon/RoonRemote for your devices and environment.

When completing installation and configuration typical ongoing use configurations sometimes don’t apply. For example, sometimes things must be configured locally before they are ready for remote access. I’m just trying to avoid problems during install and setup. I think you need to consider more explicit instructions.

On a related note, I’ve purchased dedicated (NUC) hardware to run ROCK on your (Roon’s) suggestion that it provides better audio performance - e.g.: less power consumption less mechanical noise, less electrical noise – all called out as benefits in your white paper. Honestly I’m now questioning that decision – I’m seeing the downsides (cant run other streaming apps, and Roon does not integrate with many services) and – having run Roon successfully on two older laptops for a couple months now (one very old local, one travel), i have never seen an issue even on what would widely be considered obsolete hardware. To your credit, the sound/performance has been very good - close to or equal to bitperfect, which has been my standard for audio, although itunes falls pretty short on UI.

As to using remotes, sure i use Roon remote on my phone, – I don’t have a tablet (yet, likely will get one essentially for this). Was not aware that Roon itself could be a remote - I in fact tried to install Roon remote on my MacBook Air via the app store, but it does not exist for MacOS - only for iOS seemed strange. Now i realize that I can configure full Roon either way.

getting my ducks in a row before I begin that process.

Keep in mind that you can also run Roon on a Nuc using Windows 10. That would offer some added versatility at the expense of the normal maintenance that OS needs.
It is just really easy to get comfortable with Roon running on its own dedicated appliance (ROCK on a Nuc). If you really miss some aspects of versatility, you can always reinstall Windows and use it like a dedicated PC.

1 Like

Thanks Scott. That is, in fact, plan “B”. I began thinking it might be the way to go yesterday as I picked up my NUC, after reading some of the replies. But if i was going that direction, using 20/20 hindsight, i would have bought a dedicated Mac Mini which i know how to strip to a really solid, small, OS and a few clients plus a browser for other streaming.

bvut you are absolutely right and after giving ROCK a solid try, i may very well wind up there. However, i followed Roon’s white paper that made many claims for the audio superiority of ROCK… and having experimented with power supply noise on any server, its a legitimate argument. Unclear whether it makes any real difference in this case…

1 Like