ROCK installation question re: two internal SSDs

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC8, i5, High, about to install ROCK, so latest.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
NA, install question.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
NA, install question.

Description Of Problem
I have a lifetime subscription to Roon.
I am already running Roon on my MacBook Pro (ancient), works fine.

On your recommendation, I have purchased a NUC to run ROCK
I was told I cannot run both ROCK/core and place music on the same SSD. Why? I have no idea since I do with my old Mac, but anyway…

So I bought a NUC with two internal drives:
– one small NVMe SSD for ROCK/core
– one large (1/2 TB) SATA SSD for music files

I’m trying to plan ahead to:

1. Place ROCK on the proper drive
  2. Then create a folder and share it so I can transfer my music files to the SSD such that it becomes the networked share for this music (or at least the local copy).

I will rip CDs elsewhere and store locally.

Can you provide any advice or guidance to configure it properly when I begin the install or immediately after during configuration?

I’d also like to be able to run a browser and Amazon music app for streaming radio and music that is not in my library, but from what I read that may be impossible. Too bad since Roon integrates with so few. Or am I wrong and can I integrate Roon with, say NPR and Amazon music? That would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Grant

I would take out the storage drive and install ROCK. Then after ROCK is loaded, install the storage drive once the drive is installed, you will go to the ROCK Web UI page and format the storage drive.

Afterwards, you can then open the share and copy music to it.

Why would i need to remove it first? Sorry, but i read and understand the words and process suggested, but don’t understand the reason - what you are trying to help me overcome…

Thanks,

Grant

Hi @Just_Me,

Firstly, let me direct you to our ROCK Install Guide which provides some very useful information as to getting your ROCK setup configured for first time use, and our ROCK Getting Started Guide which provides more info as well.

Onto the main questions at hand:

You don’t actually need to create anything specific in this regard, once ROCK is up and running you can access the internal storage via SMB (using a Windows Explorer or Mac Finder window):

• Windows - In Windows Explorer, type \\ROCK\
  • MacOS - In Finder, click Go , then Connect To Server . Then type smb://ROCK/ and connect as a Guest

This information is listed in our Data Directory Documentation. Please keep in mind that you will need to format your Internal Storage drive via the Web UI prior to first using this drive. This is what the WebUI looks like:

I believe Rugby was suggesting to keep the 2nd SSD (for music files) temporarily disconnected while you are installing ROCK to minimize confusion when setting up the BIOS settings. If the NUC is seeing the two hard drives you may have a bit more difficult time when setting the SSD as the boot priority as per our BIOS Setup Docs. I too would suggest the same.

Roon does not have integratration with Amazon music, but we certainly can stream radio stations such as NPR. Please see our Internet Radio Documentation for more information on how to add a station to Roon, but for the time being TuneIn is you best bet unless you can find the direct streaming link.

I think this about covers your questions, but if you have any further ones feel free to ask the community. Also, hope you have a warm welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

Thanks for all this. I have read the install guide completely. Just checking on some open issues before I get into the process.

The info on radio station integration is great - I’ll look.

Finally, while you do not integrate with Amazon, my question was also whether I can run the Amazon music app on a ROCK setup.

Thanks again,
G

No you can’t. Roon only with Tidal or Qobuz through Roon. The idea of a ROCK powered NUC is that it has a sole purpose. To run Roon. Nothing else is allowed.

Well, 1 down, 2 to go :-). I now have several internet radio URL added, and playing, thanks to Rugby (if i read the threading correctly).

Note to Roon: configuring anything should be an item in settings - that’s where admin occurs, and why i never found it. I searched setting high and low.

But now happy on radio streaming. Hopefulyl i can find similar streams for many college stations etc. (WFMU!)

1 Like

I think you’ll be able to find them. There is an Internet Radio swap meet thread, with many stations to try.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.