ROCK > NAD M10 / M33 via USB?

Hello, I am considering Roon / ROCK and an NAD amplifier (M10/33). I don’t know much about the Nuc cases available, but I am under the impression their output is USB. I saw one comment on one forum with a user complaining that the NAD amplifiers did not have a USB input, and that he had to use a converter to make it work.

To understand better I could really use an overview of what type of connection would be easiest and best between the two units. Many thanks.

The M10 and M33 have built-in network streamers that are Roon Ready. from the reviews I have seen. Connection via Ethernet is the preferred method for Roon.

1 Like

A NUC can stream over a network or direct to a USB connected DAC. As suggested above, if both your NAD and the NUC are connected to the same network it will work.

M10 is not fully Roon certified yet I believe, not sure about the M33. This latest gen of BluOs devices seem to have issues.

I have a NAD C658/Ethernet/homeplugs/Mac mini that has performed with Roon without issue from Roon direct or through blu os since I got it six months ago. I’m not aware of any problems.

However from the news today future buyers may have some!

M10 and M33 are both not Roon ready certified (yet) and will not work With roon via network after Sep 21, unless certification will come as an update. You can not use USB, because they gave no USB Type B input for USB Audio. Their USB Type A input is just for storage devices like thumbdrives or >SSD.

The NAD M10 is not Roon Ready and will be disabled to use with Roon after September 21, 2020. The caveats are it will continue to work if you never disable the M10. Once disabled you won’t be able to enable it again until is is certified by Roon. Also, if you uninstall and reinstall the Roon core on a server the NAD M10 won’t be able to be used until it is certified. After 2.5 years Roon has yet to certify the M10.

Beware when using Roon with the M10. I don’t know about the M33 but I assume it is uncertified as well.

See this thread - Roon Ready Certification

The M10 should be Roon Ready soon (but is currently uncertified), but the M33 is not yet Roon Ready and we’ve yet to see one so don’t hold your breath.

Hi Danny, is the C658 in the pipeline?

Thank you for all the responses. I’m only just becoming aware of the certification hornet’s nest. As I typed in another thread, I will contact NAD and see if they have a waiting list. I think I do have $5,000 for them as soon as they get the M33 Rune certified. Maybe they can notify me when they do.

I have just bought an M10 under the impression that it would work with Roon. Do you have an ETA for Roon Ready certification yet? It’s quite important to me.

@Christopher_Hunter, You probably need a firmware update. The M10 has been Roon Ready since before Sept 21.

@garye, the C658 is also Roon Ready since before Sept 21.