Rock network Music Share

I have a Rock Installation on an Intel NUC (see below). I have a USB3 Toshiba 2TB drive containing music.

I would like to synchronize new music files to the USB3 drive across the network from my MacBook using ChronosSync. I can connect to the rock/data share via SMB but I don’t have permission to access the music subfolder. Is there a way to access this share? Is there an issue with syncing the music library across a network share?
Thanks.
John

Core Machine : ROCK - Version 1.0 build 227

Hardware: Intel NUC: NUC8i3BEH, 16GB Ram, 256GB M2 SSD

Roon Build: 1.8 version Build 988

What filesystem do you use on that Toshiba drive?

Thanks, ExFAT.

So the filesystem should be writable. Did you have to login when connecting to the ROCK and if yes, what credentials did you use? Can you post screenshots of what you see when accessing the share with finder and also from error message please? If you shutdown the ROCK machine and connect the external drive to your Mac, can you access the drive normally?

Note: There are no specific barriers on ROCK to access the data. Problems usually originate from the storage device itself or are due to configuration/handling mistakes on the client side.

You need to connect as guest, not your OS X username.

1 Like

Yes, accessing the drive on my Mac is not issue. Below are screen shots. I can connect to the /data share without issue and browse, but not the USB drive.
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 2.19.47 PM

That’s an extremely long name for a USB drive. I’d reformat that again as exfat, and by using a name like ‘external’ or ‘usb drive’. Try connecting it again and see if that resolves it.

Thanks for the reply.

TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 Media = the “Media Name” of the physical drive which I don’t believe I can change. Although I am attempting to see if I can through the Command Line or on a Win10 machine. The “Volume” name which I can change through formatting is USBMUSIC1.

See screenshots below from disk utility -
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 3.00.58 PM
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 3.00.43 PM

OK, I may have the answer and learn a few things in the process.

I took another drive, a Samsung T7 SSD drive formatted with exFAT, added a handful of albums to it. Plugged it in, added its folder in Roon settings/Storage and bingo I can access the USB file share across the network.

In looking at the Toshiba Usb 3.0 drive specs, they support Windows and Mac Operating systems no mention of linux (Rock OS). Very possibly there might be a driver or firmware issue. On the other hand the Samsung T7 also lists support for Windows, Mac, and Android Lollipop.

For others out there, this may save a headache or 2.

• The Toshiba drive works fine in Roon, I need to remove in order to sync/add music files. But it seems to have an issue when mapping across the network and accessing the music files.
  • The Samsung T7 works well and btw, is incredibly fast!
  • The ROCK OS uses the media name of the drive as opposed to the Volume name (used in the formatting process) and appends a string to it.(see below)
  • A 1TB T7 costs about $114 while a 2TB Toshiba is about $60 in the US on Amazon.
1 Like