ROCK Not Installing

Trying to install ROCK on an Intel NUC TNHi7.

Clicked on the link and it Downloaded a WinZip File:
roonbox-linuxx64-nuc4-usb-factoryreset.img.gz

Now WinZip wants me to buy their software just to UnZip this file. What’s the workaround?

Also, the ROON installation instructions show procedures for updating the BIOS BEFORE installing ROCK. On some other recent Forum Posts I’ve seen a number of people mention that the BIOS doesn’t need to be updated.

On top of that, when I power up the Intel NUC (monitor, mouse & keyboard connected), nothing happens except for the On/Off power button remains flashing slowly.

Grrrrrr…

From Roon’s installation guide …

After the download, this file has an extension of “.img.gz” – you do not need to decompress/unzip it.

For older NUCs yes but for the more modern ones, like the one you’re, using I’d say it optional.

I’d start by checking that RAM has been installed correctly.

7zip is my go to software for anything related to archives
You can get it from here https://www.7-zip.org/

3 Likes

Michael, thanks. Tried 7zip and it unzipped it.

Menzies. Thanks. I managed to get the file Flashed to a brand new USB stick. I put the USB stick in the NUC, powered it up, and still nothing. The Power light just flashes on and off. I’ve tried the F2 & F10 keys on power up as provided by the NUC instructions but nothing is working.

AND, I’ve tried to locate the Intel BIOS file on their website. Found what appears to be the correct stuff but there is no “.bio” file to flash the drive

From Intel tech support it looks like the flashing power light on startup may be related to some kind of memory error - bad module, dirty contacts, wrong type, etc. I’ll look into this tomorrow.

Hi Art there can be some fun updating firmware for those that have not done it before and I think there are a couple of threads about that around from the last couple of years.

I wonder if you have to change some settings to get it to boot from a Roon created USB drive.
It’s been about 2 and a half years since I did an instal (and back then it was in legacy mode) and I remember that the instructions did not work from the previous instructions.

You may need to go into the BIOS and enable USB boot and allow non signed boot devices.

Thanks Michael. I agree. But right now, I can’t even get to the BIOS settings to change and allow USB boot. That Power light just gives a flashing on/off signal and that’s as far as I can get. No image on display either. The flashing power on/off light upon startup supposedly indicates a memory module issue.

There’s definitely an issue, but it may not be the memory. See this article for the blink codes and follow the links for their causes.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005845/intel-nuc.html

1 Like

It was a memory module issue. One of the modules was not fully seated (even though the holding clips closed).

Now onto the next problem. I flashed a USB stick and can get into BIOS (F7 at power on).

I assume I still do not have the BIOS required to boot from the USB stick, on the USB stick.

On the Intel website there are four available downloads. One is a .exe which is obviously for Windows.
The other three:
TN0075.cap (independent OS)
TNTGL357.0075.UEFI.zip (independent OS)
TNTGL357.0075.RECOVERY.zip (independent OS)

Since I’m not trying to recover anything from some kind of catastrophic failure, I assume it’s either the .cap file or the other .zip file I should use.

Which one?

I tried the .cap download first. Copied it to the USB stick. Put USB stick in NUC. Powered On, holding F7. Got through the BIOS update. Also got a message: “Must upgrade to BIOS 0071 before 0075”.

NUC tried to reboot. Got the message “A bootable device has not been detected”. USB stick still inserted in NUC. Starting to get confused.

I rebooted with flashed USB stick in NUC, pressed/holding F2. I’m in the Boot menu. However, this looks nothing like Step 2B Configuring the BIOS shown in the ROCK Install Guide. And my BIOS Menu is not titled “Intel Visual BIOS”. Upper left corner says TNTGL357, below that, Bios Version, below that “Processor”.

Under the Boot Tab, Boot Option#1 = UEFI: USB, Partition 1 (USB)

This should help …

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUC-Elements/Problem-updating-FW-NUC11TNBi3/m-p/1500878

OK, Thanks Carl. Got BOIS 0071 installed on NUC.

I put the USB stick that I thought I flashed to use it as a bootable device, but apparently not or something I’m still missing.

Rebooting with this USB stick I get “Secure Boot Violation…Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup”

I’ve Enabled M.2 SATA but it doesn’t show up in Boot Priorities, therefore I can’t Enable M.2 SATA boot

I think that one of the setup instructions for ROCK is to disable ‘Secure Boot’. It looks like you have not done this.

Actually, yes, Secure Boot is disabled
And under Boot Priority, there are no M.2 SATA listed.

Boot Option#1: UEFI: USB, Partition 1 (USB)
Boot Option#2: UEFI: PXE IPv4 Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-LM
Boot Option#3: UEFI: PXE IPv6 Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-LM

Under “Advanced” Tab, SATA Controllers are Enabled

OK. Somehow, by using a combination of information, from here on the Forum, Youtube, and Intel, I somehow managed to get ROCK installed (I think).

I didn’t have my Ethernet cable connected to the NUC, Roon went looking for something, and now I’m at a black screen, in appears to be DOS. Upper left corner has Roon Labs info. Below that it says:
“Roon can be accessed by opening any Roon Remote product. If you don’t see this device there, check Roon OS devices on your network”. “Roon OS Web UI can be directly accessed at: htto://10.0.32/”

I turned on my Roon Remote “product” which I assume is the NAD M32, but I don’t see anything else happening. So, still stuck.

EDIT: I have been using Roon for a few years with Roon Core on a Windows 8.1 laptop. When I launch the Roon app on my tablet, I think it’s still looking for my “old” Roon on the laptop. Is this where I need to shut off the NUC, Bootup the laptop, start Roon on the laptop, then disable Roon, or my Roon account from the laptop. And then, from the Tablet/app, opening page “Remote connection…waiting for remote Core…” — Is this where I should “Select a different Core”?

1 Like

Good news on the progress, I did warn that it’s not straightforward :roll_eyes::face_with_peeking_eye:. It would be easier the next time, but if that’s 5 years you will have forgotten all about the pain.

Is your network 10.0.0.X if so that’s all working

Yes and you need to unregister the current core so do not worry abou that.

Are you planning on doing a restore? Assuming you have already made a final backup, if not now would be a good time before you de-authorise it.

Yeah. This is any but straight forward.

I’m assuming what I see on the NUC display right now is Linux Command Line (like DOS).

It says “Roon OS Web UI can be directly accessed at: http://10.0.0.32//”. No idea if that’s me or what/where I’m supposed to go to.

And yes, I already did a Roon Backup from the laptop Core.

Yes just open a web browser and type http://10.0.0.32

And you should see a page like this (this is my Rock connected from my mobile phone).

If you see that then Rock is up and running and on your network.

You should then be ready to Connect to a different server, login to Roon and do a restore… All sounds so easy now :face_with_peeking_eye: