ROCK not responding to mDNS queries [resolved 1.0.75]

Yah, it’s a very popular router. I have one here too, just because so many have it.

Long ago, it was a spectacular router… but Apple got out of that business completely and it’s quite obsolete by today’s standards.

I’m afraid IP is going to be your only solution. I can look into an mDNS based LAN lookup solution, but this is not a trivial thing.

Hi @RBM,

I guess not

There’s your problem – for the reasons @danny laid out.

I use an AEX as well (WiFi is great), but only in bridge modus. All routing is done by my eh… router. :wink:

As a workaround, once connected to the ROCK share by IP-address, drag the folder containing your music (or any other folder) to the sidebar of a Finder window. Your Mac will automatically reconnect to your ROCK server and show the contents when you click it – without having to mess with connecting manually:

@RBM The airport express is set up in bridge mode…

@danny before ROCK the nuc was running roon server on ubuntu 16.04 and I was able to use the device name just fine

yah, i bet it was responding to mDNS

Yes that’s what I’m doing now

In that case, the million dollar question is what is doing your routing then? (Probably the box supplied by your Internet provider).

yes this one…

…and it’s showing the device name

@danny, @RBM I just connected the nuc directly to my wireless modem (see above) and I cannot connect using the device name so the airport extreme is not the issue. ip address works fine

yah, my guess is that your modem isnt doing dns/netbios stuff for you, nor is the airport express.

im looking into mdns for you…

2 Likes

That’s right. Those DOCSIS modem/routers are not the sharpest tools in the shed (sorry @stevev1 ;-)). Your Ubuntu box was probably running Avahi for mDNS (which is basically the same as Apple does with Bonjour).

More info:

1 Like

I had similar issues, so I just entered the IP address (no share name) into the Connect to Server window and it worked perfect.

ok, i got a mDNS thing working… build coming soon

2 Likes

Thanks Danny !

just pushed 1.0.75 to fix this…
grab it and try rock.local

to update, go to roon and visit settings->about to force it to check for updates

4 Likes

You did it!!! @danny
thanks a lot :clap:

1 Like

I use an Airport Extreme, running RoonServer on a NUC. I have not had these issues–although lately, having just returned from a month overseas, I can access by SMB but not VNC. (VNC also doesn’t work with IP address, but I haven’t trouble-shot that to the point where I’m confident it’s a Roon thing. I just know it was working when I left.) Anyway, it appears to be a problem for ROCK but not for standard Roon. Does that make sense?

I’ve heard for a while now that Airpot Extreme is obsolete. Perhaps a list of recommended routers?

(P.S. Edit: The main reason I’m eager to switch to ROCK is to eliminate the need for VNC to manage the (usually) headless server.)

Thanks.

There is no vnc for Rock… It’s not needed

1 Like

Noted–thanks. See my P.S. I was just pointing out that with an Airport Extreme and regular RoonServer (not Rock) I CAN do SMB, but VNC has lately failed.