ROCK - NUC - DSP (Digital Signal Processing) + Roon sample rate conversion

I year ago I bought my first NUC to run Rock:

It run just fine with my library size:

But than I startet to implement Digital Room Correction (DRC) - DSP (Digital Signal Processing) convolution filters with crosstalk and Roon sample rate conversion
(DSD 128).

And it sounds great!

The only challenge that I have is not enough “horse power” - only when playing DSD native:

In many cases it drops below 1x with DSP and sample rate conversion.

So I was thinking of getting some more “horse power”. But NUC13 is not approved by Roon.

Have a nice WE :slight_smile:

Torben

1 Like

What hardware is needed to get more “power”? Any suggestions?

THX

Torben

EDIT: I just want to use it with ROCK

You need a PC with a desktop CPU, plain and simple, can be made fanless also.

Edit:
And it‘s more about clock speed and not number of cores.

Click my avatar to look at my core PC specs for inspiration purposes only…

What worries me with a desktop CPU:

" Any hardware configurations other than the above are unsupported .
Although they may work now, they may also stop working at any time due to updates."

" If you do manage to get it to run, that’s great, but we can not guarantee it will continue to work with future builds. Consider yourself warned."

Torben

No one forces you to run ROCK…

I‘m running Roon server on Windows for four years now, and never had any of the alleged issues regarding OS updates, not even when upgrading from Win10 to 11 - it just works!

Bonus is, I have LMS (and equalizer APO for convolution) installed as a fallback safeguard, should hell freeze over - needed it once for a weekend after my internet was disconnected by a telecom technician one Friday, while hooking up a new neighbor’s line…

1 Like

You already bought an unsupported hardware configuration. You did not buy a NUC, which is/was an Intel exclusive trademark. Instead, you bought a third party fanless build with maybe a NUC board or something similar inside.

AJ

Yes with a NUC board inside

Torben

@Marin_Weigel - Sure that could be a solution.

BUT - it has to be ““headless computer”” due to where it is placed. But how to you than update it when there are new Windows or Roon Server updates?

THX

Torben

Roon updates itself or you can apply updates as you wish from the client.
Windows you can remote into or let it update itself or never update it.

2 Likes

As @ged_hickman1 advises.

In stubborn cases - note: none in 4 years with my setup - you may have to dick around with a monitor and keyboard.
You’re tweaking your system with all sorts paraphernalia all the time anyway, it seems, so that shouldn’t be anything out of the world for you, no?

You’re the one demanding serious computing power - gotta pay the price one way or another…

@ged_hickman1 - THX :slight_smile:

Torben

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.