ROCK on VMware ESXi?

When a running VM is converted to OVF format the MAC address is removed by default, unless advanced OVF parameters are configured, and a new MAC address will be assigned when the OVF file is deployed. For reference:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-B05A4E9F-DD21-4397-95A1-00125AFDA9C8.html

1 Like

If distributed as OVF file, which is recommended, the OVF can be deployed on any hypervisor that supports OVF 1.1, which workstation does.

yep, i did a test and when the mac is another one, rhe serial number changed too. but i have still a small problem, when i delete the database and make then an export, the file has a 60gb size. maybe that comes from a single esxi instance or because of no vmware tools inside the os. but export import works fine

Are the disks set up as thin or thick disks?

Very interested and would love to see if this can be shared.

One can convert from thick to thin as well to reduce the footprint.

@danny I have built a bare ovf of ROCK, 116 MB in size. New MAC address will be created each time it is deployed. Up to ROON to decide if you can allow any kind of distribution.

Some info on the ovf:

• 4 vCPUs
  • 4096 MB RAM
  • 2* 8 GB disk

Obviously this is seriously unsupported territory! ROON does not support ROCK on ESXi, VMware does not support ROCK as a guest operationg system. I run ESXi on a NUC which is not supported by VMware etc. This is completely done on my own risk and I will not support anybody doing this :smile: having said this I must say it works really well and I can use the spare capacity of the NUC for other thingsā€¦

/Henrik

3 Likes

You can share it if you want, but we canā€™t support it, or people using it.

Simple answer is yes.

Hi @Henrik ,
Could I get a copy of the ovf file please ?
Thanks
Tim

If anyone wants to have a copy of the ovf please IM me a dropbox (or similar) link, as I canā€™t e-mail this size of file.

/Henrik

1 Like

thanks, not had a lot of time this week for testing :+1:

Hello @Henrik,

Thank you for this answer.

I am also interested in a copy of this virtual machine.

dp

@Henrik

Hi Henrik,

What is the size of the ovf file?

Cheers.

@YC_KU see my post aboveā€¦ but it is 116 MB in size.

Thank you Henrik, shouldnā€™t have skimmed. :slight_smile:

Hi Changlim,

Did you get pass the USB keyboard issue?

I got to the ā€œWelcome to the Roon Optimized Core Kit Setupā€ but canā€™t type 1 to ā€œinstall Rock on this device.ā€

Hi

You have to plug a second keyboard to your computer and make a passthrough within the vmware remote console, that works.

Best,
Marco

Does anyone have a copy of a @Henrikā€™s VM they could share? Tried PMing but no response. I donā€™t seem to be able to get past the USB keyboard issue on my own; nothing I do seems to make a second (or even third) keyboard available to be passed through to the VM.

I can provide a dropoff destination if needed.

Thanks!

Yes I still have it :

23/11/2017 20:00 118 400 860 Rock.zip

Thanks @Dirk-Pitt, PM incoming :slight_smile: