ROCK on VMware ESXi?

any plans to run ROCK on a VMware image?

Best,
Marco

I have no plans to do such things… you can try and give feedback… it’s not a support platform but it may work.

ok, will try it next week. today roon runs now in such an environment, first with windows, today with cent os

Only for information, it is running fine on ESXi. Installation is a bit tricky because USB did not boot automatically.
I flashed the image to a disk for boot, added another one for the installation to an usb.

Another tticky thing was the keyboard. I was not able to send a 1 for installation. So i hat to add another keyboard and modified the vmx file to add this keyboard.

Finaly ROCK is running in a vm on my powerful Server.

Best,
Marco

2 Likes

Can you help me Marco_Kohler,
How to?
Flashing the image to a disk for boot.(ESXi)

Hi Changlim_Choe

Long time ago :slight_smile:

1. Start any Linux in your esxi environment
  2. copy roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset-100000076.img into /tmp directory
  3. create a new vm, another linux 64bit with 2 disks, second disk should be ide:0 (or add an SATA Controller), do not start this one right now
  4. attach the first empty disk from the new VM to your running linux maschine
  5. run sudo dd bs=10485760 if=/tmp/roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset.img of=/dev/sdb
  6. disconnect the disk from the running VM and start the new created VM. It should start now and you should see “waiting for USB subsystem…”
  7. During this message connect your usb stick with the flashed roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset.img. It should now find the media and it ask you to install it.
  8. Add another USB keyboard to your computer and connect it to the VM. Now you should be able to interact…

Have fun…

Best,
Marco

2 Likes

Thank you, Marco_Kohler

Hi Marco_Kohler
Can you help me?

1. Add another USB keyboard to your computer and connect it to the VM. Now you should be able to interact…

I can’t connect USB keyboard to my VM.
ESXi can’t add

you should work with the esxi remote console. you can share with this Client any usb device. as you already have one usb keyboard used by your computer, you need a second Keyboard temporarely for th VM

Hi everyone

I am not an expert on linux and vmware. Would it be possible for one of you to share the finished vmware image (so I can import the VM) or is that a problem with the rules related to this software?

I do not know if this is allowed, may a admin can send an info about that.

@danny, is it allowed to do an backup from an empty image and give it to another user?

It’s going to cause issues. Give me a bit and I’ll figure it a way you can do it safely

1 Like

Yeah, I tested it and realized, the serial wouldn’t change…

does your mac addr change? it seems vmware should have a way to do that…

Yes, got it :-), with new mac serial has changed

Hello @Marco_Kohler,

Can this wm be run with WMware Workstation Player 14 ?

Thx, dp.

I built them for running under VMware ESXi 6.5. Maybe there is a converter for VMware Workstation, but I do not know it.

can you distribute without a mac addr?

When you start a VM in WMWare, it’s assigned a unique Mac Adress.

So unless I’m missing something, why would that be an issue?