ROCK OS Running as Ramroot?

Is it possible to run ROCK as ramroot (ramboot)?

And if so is this something that Roon has considered or spoken about?

It seems like a great solution especially for an endpoint where Roon could be booted from a USB stick and loaded to ram without the need for any internal drives at all. Audiolinux runs Roon, both Core and Bridge, and offers this option but of course is not supported by Roon.

Probably not. Iā€™ve read that is not quite as stable as many would hope yet with AudioLinux.

I have yet to be brave enough to try it as my streamer is working great!

ROCK already runs from RAM ā€“ but it forces a certain disk partition structure to deal with all the features and variations it has.

AFAIK all apps run in ram however others have reports excellent gains from loading the entire OS into ram. How much ram would one need to do that even with Roon Bridge? Have you experimented with it?

The size of ones Roon DB would be a determining factor. I believe 32GB is recommended by the ā€˜authorā€™ of AudioLinux. I bet 16GB would fit most though.

I must say his web page is one of the most difficult to consume, stuck in the early 90s.

It runs from RAM but does it boot to RAM, the entire filesystem so the disk is no longer necessary? This is what AudioLinux is doing with the ramroot option.

Like RAMdisk of olden days, the entire filesystem lives in RAM. I donā€™t know how Roon db changes get committed to disk, I suspect they donā€™tā€¦edit - there is a ā€˜ramsaveā€™ option but it is manually run thus making it rather impractical for normal Roon use.

I agree about the Audiolinux web page but at as an endpoint the sound quality is excellent.

Totally agree. Iā€™m running the Pink Faun version. I asked Jord, the primary contact at PF about running the ramroot option and he said itā€™s not been stable enough for him to recommend but gave me the commands to try it I wanted. He has not tested ramroot option for SQ though.

Edit: I just enabled ramroot option, however I run headless so I canā€™t be sure it loadedā€¦but the system booted and played as normal. I canā€™t say it sounded any better or worse than normal boot but this is on an already highly optimized setup.

Edit 2: ramroot status shows it was enabled but didnā€™t load. As I run headless I cannot acknowledge the boot prompt. Perhaps Iā€™ll put a video card in and try itā€¦

yes. the entire OS is < 50mb.

my database at home is ~40gb

the DB is on the SSD ā€“ not in RAM, for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Larry_Post. Download Putty open source remote and connect to the IP of your AL Roon endpoint. Log in as ā€œaudiolinuxā€ with ā€œaudiolinuxā€ as the password. You will be in a virtual terminal and can control your endpoint or check settingsā€¦

Thanks for the replies Danny. I can see why ramboot with Roon would not work. The good news is that it sounds wonderful.

Yeah, well beyond thatā€¦thanks though.

Fast forward a few months. Iā€™m happily running Roon Linux version in ram along with Audiolinux OS, the entire root volume.

Works great and the response time of the db has never been faster.