ROCK suggestion to fix auto reboot issue after a power cut

I have ROCK in an Intel NUC, it is awesome. But I have a simple improvement, that would improve Roon Arc use.

When we have a power cut and the power comes back on, I have the NUC set to auto power on. (Power cut are quite a common thing where I live.) Everything boots up OK, but it appears that the ROCK software tries to reconnect to my streaming service (Qobuz) before my router has also powered up again, and so of course it fails. It seems to finally connect, but not “properly”.

There are then glitches, like the crash of the metadata improver, and issues with Qobuz streaming via Roon Arc.

If I am away from home using Roon Arc when all of this happens, I cannot use Arc properly until I get home and reboot the ROCK (rebooting it when the router is already running of course means that the ROCK will successfully connect to Qobuz first time, avoiding all of these issues, or just logging out and in again to Qobuz).

I am guessing identifying and fixing this issue wouldn’t be too hard for Roon’s software engineers?

Alternatively a way to remotely reboot ROCK via the Arc app (I’ve asked about this before) would also allow a user away from home to fix this.

Here’s hoping!

It is possible to use the ROCK http api to ask it to reboot - see here:

I use this (and a wake on lan command) to turn my ROCK on and off overnight from my home automation system.

So you might be able to rig up another machine on your network to run this in a script a few minutes after booting to reset your ROCK.

Sadly I don’t expect the software that I use for my home automation would cope well with sudden power offs, so can’t recommend that to you.

1 Like

Put it in feature suggestions category or add to an existing request

1 Like

How long do the power cuts last? If they’re usually short duration a UPS battery backup system would be a good thing to have to protect your equipment.

I use those for the network components (modem, router, switch(s)), cable box, PC’s and NUC/ROCK server, basically devices that are sensitive to outages or take some time to initialize after outages.

That would keep the equipment with lower power requirements up and running for an hour or 2 depending on the UPS system.

We have an automatic backup generator that kicks in within 30 seconds for longer outages but the UPS systems protect the equipment in any event.

1 Like

I highly recommend an inverter with lithuim battery and hook up your router and NUC to it. This is what I did because of constant power cuts and the need to have Internet always as we work from home. A UPS is ultimately not sufficient for your purposes, as you may not be at home when the power goes.

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn’t think of that.

Just to clarify as I am not experienced with UPS’s, why would I have to be at home when the power cut? I will also look into lithium battery inverters, thanks.

Because a UPS is only designed to protect your equipment for a short while. Entry-level UPS will only last for about 10min. You need to shut down the NUC in that time. A high-end UPS could last 3 hour’s

1 Like