ROCK, wasn't what I was hoping for

Ok that sounds good and exactly what I would like to do, won’t be using android box for sound so part doesn’t worry me and am fine with using a wireless mouse

Ok, your best bet is to find a box running Android 6 with as generous an allocation of on board memory as you can find or buy an SBC such as an Odroid C2 that can be purchased with Android as it’s operating system. If you go Odroid, the eMMC module is worth every penny. It is much faster than the microSD option and will better mimick the performance of a ‘good’ tablet.

Ok thank you,will start researching.

Your focus is correct Danny, concentrating on Tablets and touch control is the right way to go. If we want to go with a method of control via a big screen and pointer it is up to us to make that work. However the Android solution is potentially a good fix for TV display dinosaurs like myself and it would be good if you were to be able to support it or attract third party support in a way the lightweight Linux support for RoonBridge in DietPi works. However I do appreciate that adding an additional route for us to find things we are not satisfied with adds to your workload.

Absolutely, @Danny, touch is the way.
It was depressing to watch the companies investing in 10-foot UI, with Windows Media Player and Xbox and PlayStation and TiVo and button-remotes, just when touch revolutionesd the world and made that approach obsolete.

One issue with tablets using something like airplay is the mismatch of resolutions.

1 Like

The market changes so fast and maybe we will see more “gesture control” features on TV that could make that proposition more attractive.

I agree with the OP. I looked into ROCK before it was released and was disappointed to find that it didn’t output video (specifically the GUI). I really wanted the bad ass Roon interface on my theater room’s large screen. I ended up with a BlueSound Node 2 and while it sounds great, I really don’t care for controlling it from my phone. I know the tablet would be better but I never remember to bring down into the theater room. And when it comes to having guests over it sucks having them huddle around a tablet rather than sitting in their seats marveling at Roon.

I am seriously considering selling my Node 2 and buying a NUC running Windows and running Roon on my huge screen.

1 Like

As long as you don’t get the Windows blue screen of death on that huge screen in front of all your guests, that sounds like a good plan :worried:

I’d love ‘Now Playing’ album art on a big screen too but Danny mentioned that’s something they’ve thought about, maybe for an Apple TV and/or Chromecast Video, so fingers crossed

Blue screens of death?!?! I think it’s been about 5 years since my last “BSOD”. Not worried about those.

2 Likes

I have a Surface Pro 4 running the latest updates of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and just had one last week, eep!

They certainly are much less common than the Windows 95 days though :persevere:

Exactly you explained it better than me but my needs and thoughts exactly, just seems a waste to have all that information and excellent layout but you have to put your glasses on to read it.

1 Like

Just get the latest imat at the bottom pic

2 Likes

I have tried about all options with Roon. One-box two-box and three-box solutions. It all works the same ans sounds the same. I settled on running Roon Core and Roon Remote on a dedicated fanless i7 win10 PC. Roon core is allways running. The remote only if I want to control it locally. There is absolutely no difference in response nor sound quality if Roon Remote is running or not.

I have an Nvidia Shield and can also use Roon remote (side-load), but you need a 3rd party air-remote or a wireless mouse to control it.

I have Roon Server on an intel NUC as well, but you, like me, seem to be comfortable in the linux world, so unless you are also using the NUC as an endpoint? Why even bother with ROCK?

I have my NUC running Debian Minimal (Jessie) and then use Docker to run Roon Server. I don’t use it as an endpoint and didn’t see the point in dedicating it purely to Roon Server, So I also have other dockers running on the NUC, 6 in total and all of them, including Roon Server, are running perfectly. I control Roon from my Mac or from the Nvidia Shield, as endpoints I use my Mac and a Raspberry Pi connected to a DAC, DAC connected to my AVR.

I ended up getting a $50 android TV box and installed Roon remote on that and leave the app open so i just turn on TV and there is Roon ready to go. Works very well and better than windows.

1 Like

Good result.

I just finished assembling a Roon ROCK NUC as per Computer Audiophile and it works great. When I transferred the Roon Core to the NUC I keep the older Windows PC (CAPS Zuma) as the Roon Control and it projects the UI on my 10ft. projector screen and looks fantastic. I like keeping the Windows PC to play Tidal Music Videos which Roon does not do…yet.
I do not like holding a tablet or phone in my hand while listening to music. A wireless mouse on a side table works fine for me.

2 Likes

Which Android TV box are you using?

+1 Exactly how I do it.