rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Probably end of February the release with rooUPnP will be ready. Releasenotes you find in the quick installation guide https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1c72vVpuuVlIWJpB8flVAZlHXmW2KNd1k?usp=sharing

2 Likes

The joy of being single is that you can invest in infrastructure without having anyone arguing about what you do with the wardrobe instead of making spaces for clothes, how much you invest in IT and how much you have time to play with different stuff. So actually, in my wardrobe I have this 19" rack which handles the power of my computer devices, TV and audio system, just in case that I get a power cut. Furthermore, I have CAT6 cabling with PoE in all my apartment. The Roon ROCK server is installed in the 1U on the bottom, then I have an empty slot in the middle for a future RPi and on the right side I have a RPi4 with Home Assistant running on a MicroSD SLC 32GB memory card. So to answer your question, I simply have an empty slot for another RPi4, but I’ll probably use it as web server.

Now it comes the power part below, which is not really a place where I would put a RPiW or RPi4 device. The electric panel is connected to Internet and accessible via my mobile from anywhere in the world through VPN.

I am a bit nerdy with smart homes using KNX and EnOcean. :smiley:

3 Likes

All clear, then I will keep my rooDial on the RPiZW and forget about the RPi4 with PoE, as it doesn’t make sense to over-invest in PoE when I can run the rooDial on the RPiZW.

Lucky you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I am in the process of buying a Swissbit MicroSD SLC card from Mouser and the cards having sizes over 512MB are extremely expensive. It seems that on my card there is a partition of 268MB from which the rooDial is using 49.4MB. Do you think that a 512MB MicroSD card is enough for the current and upcoming versions?

Smallest I tested was 4GB card and worked fine. The image is more than 2GB so how could 512 Mb be enough :woozy_face:

This is what I see on my MicroSD card, so that’s why I was wondering if a 512MB card is enough:

Indeed, the image file is way more larger than what is installed on the card:

Perhaps the installation is creating a hidden partition which Disk Utility and Files (Mac) doesn’t see it?

You see the boot partiton only. Please further communication regarding technical things here:
rooDial technical integration discusions - Audio Products - Roon Labs Community

1 Like

Are you in the states? How is your EnOcean install going? Most of my automation is through z-wave using homeseer

Hi Macrho,
I live in Germany. rooDial does not provide EnOcean nor z-wave. rooDial is a simple Pi Zero W that acts as a bridge between Bluetooth requested by the Microsoft Surface Dial and WiFi to connect to Roon.

Write me in private and we can talk about EnOcean and KNX.
DrCWO, sorry for interfering here with my smart home topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello - sorry to pick up a post from three weeks ago, but I’m just getting interested in this topic. You said you don’t like the FLIRC case for the Pi Zero; why is that? (Technical or cosmetic?)

It’s metal so might not work well for BT and WiFi signals.

1 Like

I am using the Flirc case and I do not notice any problems.
For Bluetooth the Pi is about one meter from the Dial, Wifi has to travel roughly 5 meters to my access point - no problems whatsoever with connections. That actually baffles me a bit as well …
On the other hand: iPhones and iPads have aluminum cases too.

1 Like

@wizardofoz, @Elmar_Heimes - thanks, both.

1 Like

I took THIS for my Pi 4. The Dial is about 3m in distace, no problems with BT.

2 Likes

I had the official pi zero case but then I found this, which looks kind of nice and is made of wood so no impact on WiFi or Bluetooth signals either. Also very cheap…

1 Like

Thanks Tim. The problem is there are too many options :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this is a cool project - I do however have two questions:
would htere be a plan to have an installer for a win10/MAC, since those devices already have BT build in, and if you only have one zone that would eliminate the call to buy a pi and imaging an SD card?
Also I wonder if you plan to support other “dial-thingies” - I know Bang&Olufsen is dong a VERY nice and VERY expensive dials that also runs via BT and has a few more click options - could be awesome too!!
the “essence”: https://www.google.se/search?q=bang+olufsen+essence+picture&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8rE1oah9grzs0M%2C3-76HpYVlVcnsM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRx5qP_qhgetWZBsSMqEM6rgnrIxg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiV3LLyz9zuAhVnhosKHZ9eALUQ9QF6BAgDEAE#imgrc=8rE1oah9grzs0M

1 Like

Lars, you are right, yery yery cool device.
Did you know if it is sold without the controller?
If it is bluetooth it might work. I have to get one and see. Did you have one?

Regarding versions for Mac and Win: Is a lot of work for me to save some customers 20$. Looks not really as a good deal for me :thinking: