rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Yes, it seems possible to buy that wheel as a stand alone and it is using BT. I never owned one but I tried it in a shop once, and it is really high quality - However t seems it is “only” twice the price of the RSP of the MS dial in Denmark where I am. so that is not too bad.
I understand the hazzle of developing for more platforms, but if you over time plan to have the solution more genereally avaialble i still think the hazzle and the nerdyness, not the cost, of the PI could be a barrier for some folks.

I wrote to someone ho offered it in EBAY, will see what happens…
Nerdyness, you are right, maybee some day …

Problems with Roon 1.8, the Extension is not showing up anymore.
The green led is flashing every second,

Ive not had any issues with it, but sometimes it takes a short time to show up

Ed, I also have this issue, but it is not the only one. I will try to get in contact with roon and see what can be done.

At the moment there are a lot of issues in the Settings dialog of roon 1.8. this stops me from further developments at the moment.
Please be patient, seems that roon is working on it.

Ed,
there is an issue in Ronn with the settings dialog. They work on it at Roon.
A workaround for iOs is available. Please change the system language of your iPad or iPhone to “English GB” and you can see the settings dialog again. With this workaround you can also open the settings dialog of rooDial.

I already switched to English, but i also tried to upgrade to the new image V1.2.0, but i won’t connect to my wifi router.
If i check my router log but it won’t even try get an DCHP lease.
So i thought that the raspberry pi zero was broken so i flashed an image of Dietpi and that is working fine, i can login over wifi with ssh with the same ip adress as rooextenddial was connecting the last time when it was working
Funny thing is that the dial (v1.01) was working fine with v1.7 until i upgraded roon to 1.8.
Now it keeps coming up with its own wifi server ‘rooextend’ after i put in my wifi password, it restarts but i won’t connect to my wifi router anymore.

Ed,
connection to WiFi has nothing to do with roon 1.8. My rooDial here worked flawlessly since I updated last night. I did nothing and it continued working. That’s the way it should be.
The rooExtend accesspoint is shown if the Pi cannot connect to your WiFi. I suspect a wrong password you have entered. I guess you arn’t connected to ethernet!
So please retry and wait. In some cases it may last up to five 5 minutes. Please notice, that Pi Zero can ONLY access 2.4GHz Wifi not 5GHz.

Flashing or blinking. Flashing means connectd to Roon!

Yes i know it has nothing to do with roon, i know its only 2.4GHz, the password is ok it is still working with Dietpi.
If the password is wrong will the ‘rooextend’ wifi server be switched on again? it does everytime i try to connect.
But my asus router log file does not show any try for a dhcp lease.
This is log for a dietpi dhcp connect

Feb 10 09:55:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[1231]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.193 b8:27:eb:bf:83:dd
Feb 10 09:55:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[1231]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.193 b8:27:eb:bf:83:dd DietPi
Feb 10 09:55:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[1231]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 192.168.1.193 b8:27:eb:bf:83:dd
Feb 10 09:55:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[1231]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.193 b8:27:eb:bf:83:dd
Feb 10 09:55:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[1231]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.193 b8:27:eb:bf:83:dd
Feb 10 09:55:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[1231]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.193 b8:27:eb:bf:83:dd DietPi

Disconnect Dietpi

Feb 10 10:03:34 WLCEVENTD: Deauth_ind B8:27:EB:BF:83:DD
Feb 10 10:03:34 hostapd: eth6: STA b8:27:eb:bf:83:dd IEEE 802.11: disassociated

It doesn’t show anything like that when i try to connect with the RooExtend image.

The firsttime setup V1.0.0 1 month ago was working flawlessly , also the second time with V1.1.0 i had no problems.

Yes, it tries to reonnect and if with the given pasword no connection can be achieved the rooExtend accesspoint with its webserver got restarted.
Did you have V1.1.0 image still in your download so sou can retry with it?

i already did … no luck

Since upgrading to 1.8 the Roo Dial extension keeps disappearing intermittently and becomes unresponsive. I can access settings no problem, but the dial is not stable under this release. I have deleted the extension rebooted Roon and the PiZero but the intermittent behaviour continues

1 Like

Mine has always been there but the volume is a bit funny

Yes, can confirm this behavior.

I’m still on 1.1.1 and seems to be quite ok for the most part.

Has anyone activated a new extension since the v1.8? I’m having trouble getting extenstion accepting my licence code. Not sure if the problem is with the licence code or the extension being somehow blocked from validation (eg. if it’s an API call)

Thanks,

Two more people bought today and they were able to license…

Licence all sorted now. Loving this extension, thanks for creating it!
I always wanted a wireless volume dial remote ever since I saw the Devialet’s Phantom and Expert remotes, this will do nicely!

With initial impressions, probably the only further configuration I’d request is a setting to enable more volume change with less turn of the dial. Even with the inertia effect “none”, it takes a couple wrist turns to go from 30 to 100. That aside, awesome! :slight_smile: