rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Ok so if its roon ready - can you control the volume from within roon or is it just seen as a dac ?

If its just a dac - like my denafrips ares then i can still use the dial bit only for the stop/play next/previous track as the volume part has no functionality ( i have to use the volume on the headphone amp the dac is plugged into)

Now the goldnote / lumin and sonos speakers can be controlled as all three can have the volume changed by the roon app

I think itā€™s just seen as a DAC (so I can control the volume of the zone with the dial, not the volume setting of Gato) but that may also because I do not enable ā€œExclusive Modeā€ as the Mac Pro my Roon core is running on is also my media server where I watch movies etc with the same 2-channel setup. So the Gato cannot be exclusive to Roon.

For some odd reason one of my three Microsoft Dials just refuses to pair with the RPi running v2.0.1ā€¦ even after several reboots and a second installation. Works flawlessly on v2.0.0ā€¦ though I do get frequent disconnects running three Microsoft Dials, all for volume control

Sorry if this was already addressed but I canā€™t read through 600+ postsā€¦ also I didnā€™t see this explained in the instructional video.
My question is how easy/complex is the process of assigning a Dial/Pi to a Roon zone? Is it feasible and reasonably easy to keep changing between two zones? I mean, can it be done in 2-3 clicks or does it require restarts or reinstallation of extension or anything more cumbersome?
I have a large open plan floor when I have two zones with speakers. I could place the pi somewhere in the middle for good bluetooth coverage of both zones so I need to know how easy it is to switch between zones if I move the Dial between the two listening spots.
Thank you.

Its a page in roon under extensions - just a dropdown list of your zonesā€¦

Though the roodial can also follow zones - so where you start playing music it will work with that zone.

So no restarts needed if you want to flip between themā€¦ and you can do it direct from the app

1 Like

Iā€™ll just second @Matthew_Horne here - itā€™s easy to switch between zones and I do it all the time. Iā€™m using a roo6D but Iā€™m sure itā€™s the same with rooDial. Just go to the Roon app side menu, choose Settings ā†’ Extensions ā†’ rooDial Settings. At the top (at least itā€™s at the top for me using roo6D), just choose a new zone from the dropdown list. It immediately starts controlling the new zone. Thatā€™s it. I switch between my speaker amp and my headphone amp all the time - both in the same room, just depending on my mood. :slight_smile: I am running v2.0.2, but I havenā€™t tried the new ā€œfollow zonesā€ functionality yet.

1 Like

@Matthew_Horne
@Brian_Doherty
Sounds great, exactly what I wanted to know - thank you guys!

My dial is set to toggle between play/pause.with a press.

A press does pause the music, but another press does not restart playing.

What can be wrong?

NVM- I had to pick a zone for the toggle to restart Play, even though I only have one zone.

hey, the ā€œfollow zoneā€ thing just sank through my thick skullā€¦ is that what it sounds likeā€¦ meaning: no zone playing/I start zone XYZ/RoonDial controls XYZ???

Received my Pi Zero and MS Dial yesterday, set it all up in 30 minutes following the Good Drā€™s videos. Have to say that this is an amazing addition to my listening room setup, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

2 Likes

Rob, it is normal that you have to pick a zone first, even if you only have one zone. Until now there were no reports regarding a malfunction of Play/Pause :thinking:

If you play something via the Roon GUI and also stop it there. Can you restart playback pressing the Dial?

Stopping one zone and starting playback on a other the dial then will automatically control the other zone.

1 Like

I found that the follow zone works until you stop it and if you then hit play again it would try and pick the chosen zone in the settings not necessarily the zone which was actually playing.

Or if you had a chosen zone which then disappears from the list if the endpoint is off - then follow still works bit pausing the music then means restarting does nothing as there is no active chosen zone.

Cheers

Matt

1 Like

fantastic. then I must have one!

Dr,

My Dial is working perfectly now. Thank you so much for this addition to Roon. I purchased the lifetime license.

In Extensions, my rooDial setting for ā€˜Zoneā€™ was blank. I realized all I needed to do was pick my KEF LS50 WII Zone, and now all is well.

I am new to Roon, and only have one Zone for now. I will check if the Dial can restart playback if I have stopped it first in Roon Gui.

I now love Roon and love the Dial!

Rob

2 Likes

Hi, I purchased the Pi Zero W kit, bought the lifetime license, added to Roon Extensions, and bought a Surface Dial. Everything set up just fine. However, Surface Dial will not pair with the RPi. Status continues to say Unpaired. I have tried multiple reboots of everything to no avail. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

Quick follow-up. I communicated off-line with @DrCWO and he gave some suggestions. In the end I re-flashed the SD card and went through the setup process for the third time, and this time it paired just fine. All I can say to others who are stuck, keep trying!

Jed

1 Like

Re-flashing the SD card solved the identical problem (with the same set up) for me.

Hi @DrCWO sorry if this has been answered before but does RoonDial with MS Surface Dial support haptic feedback? I was trying to decide between this and the Nuimo. Also I know RoonDial can support multiple Dial devices, is that the same with RoonNuimo?

Thanks
Neil

Neil,
there is no haptic feedback on the Surface Dial. Sorry for that, I would implement it if I knew how. I found no documentation how it could be achieved with Linux.
With rooDial you can control multiple devices by selecting the zone you like to control in rooDial. This mechanism is the same for rooNuimo.

Best DrCWO