rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

@DrCWO
I just noticed this behaviour: each time a new song starts the volume is reset to maximum when I’m using the RooDial RaspberryPi as a Roon endpoint. It seems to do that only when a new song starts as a playlist progresses; if I skip to next song it doesn’t reset to max.
This doesn’t happen with other endpoints. Is this known/addressed?
Thank you

Hi @DanMtsn,
what you describe is very strange as rooExtend uses the original Roon Bridge software für playback. Noone else has reported this until now. I run rooExtend in my configuration with a RMA ADI-2 Pro FS R connected by USB to the raspberry Pi 4 running rooExtend. I never encountered this issue.

Please let me know the exact configuration you run:

• Which Pi Type?
  • Which Case
  • Wired or WiFi connected
  • Which DAC
  • DAC connected where?

Best DrCWO

Just bought a Surface Dial and a lifetime subscription. So easy to set up following the comprehensive guide. A great bit of software.

1 Like

I like to announce a new cool feature for the next version of rooDial!

I now was successful in activating the buzzer inside the Surface Dial :slight_smile:

It will give you a tactile feedback on each step the volume is increased or decreased.
This feature can be enabled or disabled by an entry in the settings dialog of rooDial.

Best DrCWO

8 Likes

@DrCWO - Sounds great!
Please can you confirm which build has this feature and whether this is available to download yet? Many thanks

rooExtend v2.1.0 will have it. It is not yet finished :wink:

Hello @DrCWO and everyone,

In my system I use the (quite stunning) DALI wireless loudspeakers (Callisto 6C) and the compact SoundHub. A RoPieee streamer delivers audio by optical connection into the SoundHub, and the SoundHub connects wirelessly to the speakers. I have disabled volume control in Roon for this Zone so that the RoPieee streamer delivers full volume stream to the SoundHub.

I have acquired a cheap 6-btton IR remote control, and programmed the buttons as follows:

1: Roon play/pause (FLIRC on the RoPieee receives the IR command and controls the Roon stream)
2/3: Next/Previous track (as above)
4/5: Volume up/down (IR commands are received by the SoundHub Compact, which processes the volume adjustments for the speakers)
6: Mute (once again, received and processed by the SoundHub).

I wonder whether there might be some future development for RooDial to allow an IR blaster to be connected to the RPi, such that SOME commands could be sent as IR codes to audio equipment, while some others are sent tp the Roon server. This would allow me to use the very elegant RooDial to control both the Roon stream and the volume in the connected active speakers.

Why bother with this, when volume control can easily be achieved in the Roon environment? Well, in my case, the Callisto 6C speakers:

• have a very elegant volume display on the front of the speaker - which will be invalidated if the volume is controlled in the Roon server
  • have sensitive areas on the top of the speaker that allow volume control (of both speakers) by swiping your finger across the top of either speaker
  • it’s almost certainly better to use the volume control implemented in the final stage of the signal flow (inside the amp module of each speaker) rather than having the amp modules set at full volume to accommodate volume control earlier in the signal chain.

I suspect that a development to allow IR codes to be sent by RooDial to control volume (and mute) would be well received by many Roon users who would prefer to maintain gain structure across the signal flow and to control volume at the last possible point (in the amplifier). Many of us have amplifiers (or, in my case, active speakers) that DO have simple IR remote control capability, but which are not Roon Ready (and hence use external streamers).

Possible?

Richard, why not use the Logitech Harmony Hub?
As far as I know there is a Roon Extension available for it that offers volume control by IR. Search this tread for “Logitec” and you find useres running this solution.

By the way: I did measurements at the Ronn DSP volume to find out if there is some truth in the tale, that volume control in the amp is better better. result: It is not. See my paper here: The final truth about DSP Volume Control in Roon | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Best DrCWO

A reminder please - if I want to use two Surface Dials, each allocated to different zones, do I need two Pi’s or just two license keys? Many thanks

One Dial ONE License ONE Pi. You can use SpaceMouse and SurfaceDial/Nuimo on ONE Pi in parallel if you have both licenses but not two Surface Dials.
Best DrCWO

Thanks @DrCWO. I will take a look at the Harmony Hub and ‘Deep Harmony’ extension as way to achieve IR-based remote control of the DALI Callistos through the SoundHub Compact, using RooDial. Based on some quick searching, this should be possible - if a little bit clunky (will require 2 x Pi).

Thanks also for referring to your white paper on volume control. This is certainly interesting - but in my case the availability of volume control mechanisms on the speakers themselves (and the elegant volume display on the front of the speakers) suggests that the best ‘user experience’ will be by sending volume commands to the SoundHub Compact by IR. (I guess I am lucky that I don’t need the additional features of the full-size SoundHub - which uses Bluetooth to link its remote control unit to the hub itself… introducing still more complexity.)

All the best. Richard.

1 Like

Yes, it really is. I think about an IR solution maybe as a Pi Zero Hat or support for FLIRC USB. But please don’t rely on it. Just thoughts not on the list for near future as this is not requested too often.
Best DrCWO

Microsoft Employee

Quite a wile ago I had a nice conversation with a guy working for Microsoft regarding the haptic feedback for the Surface Dial but I can’t remember his name.

I have some good news regarding this and hope he is willing to help and get back to me.
Best DrCWO

2 Likes
  • Which Pi Type? 4
  • Which Case standard red/white plastic case
  • Wired or WiFi connected wifi
  • Which DAC Dragonfly black
  • DAC connected where? USB

Thank you for looking into this. I have to say that after listening more I can’t say that this is very consistent. I mean, the volume does not go to max at EACH new song as it seemed to be the case initially, but it does go to max often.

I use a 2GB Pi4 sufficient in the moment. I plan to build a Roon Extension to calculate Room correction next year. maybe I will need more for this.
my recommendation is the FLIRC metal case and Wired Ethernet. Dragonfly should do fine as Roon Bridge is included. DAC connected at USB.

Regarding volume. There is a setting that it can be changed during playback only. This should solve it.

thank you - it all works quite well for me except this minor issue. It’s really impossible to get wired ethernet where I keep this…
I will look into the volume setting you mentioned

again thanks for all your efforts in delivering this, I think the results are amazing.

Try with WiFi, should but not “recommended” by me.

@DanMtsn I have my Pi connected by Ethernet cable to an Apple Airport Express. That works very well, better than the Pi alone even though ultimately there’s Wi-Fi in the path to the core. I’m guessing the Airport has a much better antenna than the Pi does. Not sure if the Airport is for sale any more, but there’s probably similar devices you could try.

I wound up getting the plug and adapters in this article: How to Build a Plug-In Pi Zero Display and Show Something Useful | by Jamie Bailey | Initial State | Medium

Nice to have the pi right on an outlet, no wires, nada.

1 Like

I’m using a Pi Zero W, however, I recently replaced my Flirc case for my meteobridge with this:

I really like the thinness of it along with it looks pretty good as well! I have no ties to the company, just a fan!

1 Like