rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

This is really good news. So have fun :+1:

I am just soooo happy with my Roon setup inspired by Darko on youtube, meaning the touchscreen option (vhosen for a 22 inch option) with Roon core running on a NuC combined with Roodial. Works awesome!!! This gives the digital world a more tactile feel. Thanks for Roodial!!!

3 Likes

Dear @Etienne,
I like to thank you for your positive feedback.

Comments like yours encourage and motivate me to carry on building cool Roon Extensions for you.
I really appreciate this a lot :+1: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :heart_eyes:

Best DrCWO

3 Likes

Your welcome ofcourse and i would very much encourage you to come with more brilliant ideas to improve the Roon experience! I feel fortunate and blessed that in a short time since end of last year i found all this great information and could build my current setup. Now i have what i have been looking for, for years and years. Evenings with friends where everyone can find an add songs and talk about music. And with the Touchscreen / Roodial combo there is more tactile feeling. Something that i already love from the Vinyl player but the vinyl collection is limited.
So any ideas on more tactility in this day and age of the digital world is appreciated!

Interested in support for an Infrared Remote Control for Roon? Maybe to select radioststions or playlist by pressing one of the numerical keys. A bit like vintage radio :blush:

2 Likes

That would be really awesome. Any remotedevice that comes to mind? Perhaps Logitech Harmony integration?

I will see if I find one that I can recommend after my holidays :wink:

Sure, sounds very interesting and i am curious to see what you could do with it!

Hello,
I have one question about the dial in particularā€¦
Is it true that the dial keeps on putting in stand-by mode and that it take a few second to wake up ? If true, Is there a way to disable this feature ? Thank you

Currently there are no settings in RooDial to disable sleep mode but @DrCWO may be able add that. There is no information that I can find to see if the option is available in Windows OS.

Resuming from sleep only takes a few seconds at the start of a listening session and generally lasts for the duration.

Sorry, I am not. This is the firmware of the Dial and I canā€˜t keep it alive, sorry.
Best DrCWO

Thank you for your answers. Is there a way to set up the duration? My normal listening session is one to two hours; I might not use the device for 5-20 min, I would be quite annoyed if I had to play with the button while listening, to keep it aliveā€¦

Would it be possible to programmatically wake it up from time to time, through the raspberry?

I will see what can be done if I am back from holidays end of June.
Best DrCWO

Thank you doc, enjoy the restā€¦

I to have problem with Dial going into sleep, but it cannot be woken up. Something must have happened lately, I would assume Roon updates. Currently it says sleep mode in the extension in Roon, the only remedy I have been able to find is to reboot my my raspberry, which takes almost five minutes. As is now itā€™s barely usable as a remote, sad to say. Would be happy for some guidance and or other supportšŸ˜Š

I have had similar problems in the past and have found that pressing once (pause) then again to restart overcomes the sleep problem, it may work for you but is not a long term fix for the problem.

I will get into it again when I am back from Holiday end of June.
Stay tuned. Best
DrCWO

1 Like

Can multiple Dials be used with a single Micorosoft Surface?
If so, can multiple Dials be applied to a single zone?

Itā€™s my understanding you can use multiple dials to control a single zone. The caveat is that each dial needs to be paired to its own rpi and have its own roodial license.

2 Likes

I donā€˜t know if you got that right. You only need the Surface Dial not a MS Surface Tablet PC. Also you need a Raspberry Pi.
One Surface Dial can be paired with one Raspberry. So using multiple Surface Dials you need multiple Raspberrys and multiple rooDial licenses.
Hope this helps
Best DrCWO