rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

I’m pretty sure that the Doctor previously stated that you could only run one remote per device, but that could well be back in the day when there was only RooDial so it might have been true then and possibly not now.

It’s possible that I have to retract that statement if someone else can confirm that they are running two remotes from one Pi.

1 Like

Maybe you will be the man that can confirm that for us :grin:

1 Like

Just for clarification.
You can‘t use more than one BT device with one PI. So one Dial or one Nuimo with one Pi.
You can use a Dial PLUS a SpaceMouse Wireless with ONE Pi.
You also can use a Nuimo PLUS a SpaceMouse Wireless with ONE Pi.

Edit: with two devices on one Pi you can control two different Roon zones

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

Good to know that Doctor, so I only have Nuimo device’s and that makes sense why I needed two Pi’s

Maybe I need to get a Surface Dial for my Roon next door to my study then :thinking:

Though I will have another spare Pi when you have RooExtend 3 ready, so options are available :grin:

1 Like

Ok, one further question before I pass out…. I have the option of using my new Pi Zero W 2, or reusing a RPi 4 b 2GB that’s currently in use as a Ropieee. Does it matter from a performance and/or WiFi perspective which I use for RooExtend/RooDial/6d? I see in the how-to documentation that there can be some issues if you use the same Pi Zero for RooPlay and as a RoonBridge, but I’m just planning on using it for Dial/6d, no streaming.

Thanks,
John

I can’t see how it would make a difference either way. When used for dials, these things are basically just sitting and waiting for a rotation or press event at which point they make a call or two to your core.

One piece of advice. You may be inclined to swap devices and Pi’s around. You’ve probably already read this in the documentation but if you plan to move a device to a different Pi (or even just reflash a Pi without using a thumb drive to backup), it’s important that you revoke the appropriate rooExtend license beforehand. If you don’t, you will lose your license. In other words, you can’t use a dial/nuimo/etc. license on a new Pi if that license has been used on another Pi but has not been revoked.

Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

For the use case of controlling via Dial and SpaceMouse a Pi zero is fine. Only advantage of Pi4 will be that you can use wired ethernet if WiFi is not stable enough in your environment.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Hi,
I have an issue after having added in my pi4 a usb Bluetooth ([UGREEN Clé Bluetooth 5.0 Dongle])
Log said
: Has Bluetooth: true hci0 USB
And
Nov 21 20:14:29 rooExtend rooExtend[1902]: isActive: lic.check(rooDial):{
Nov 21 20:14:29 rooExtend rooExtend[1902]: “productId”: “7oWuMUUF”,
Nov 21 20:14:29 rooExtend rooExtend[1902]: “licenseKey”: “”,
Nov 21 20:14:29 rooExtend rooExtend[1902]: “machineId”: “10000000c90ebc6a”,
Nov 21 20:14:29 rooExtend rooExtend[1902]: “lastCheck”: “2022-11-21T19:13:52.179Z”,
Nov 21 20:14:29 rooExtend rooExtend[1902]: “retryCounter”: 0,
Nov 21 20:14:29 rooExtend rooExtend[1902]: “licensed”: true,
Nov 21 20:14:29 rooExtend rooExtend[1902]: “text”: “Ok”
Nov 21 20:14:29 rooExtend rooExtend[1902]: }
I desactivated then activated the extension, tried to revoke, restarted and licenced again RooDial but nothing changed the status to paired (still unpaired)
I have followed the same process to try to pair the knob but w/o success.

What I should do?
Is there some dongle which not worked ?
My idea was to extend the Bluetooth range with this dongle.

Thank you
Cédric

Hi @Cedric_Courtens,
it is true, not all USB BT dongles work!

I experimented with several of them. In my Quick installation Type I mentioned these that should do the job:

• LogiLink BT0037
  • TP-Link UB4A
  • ZEXMTE BT 5.0/5.1 Antenna

My clear recommendation is the ZEXMTE BT Antanna, als in my experience this is the only one which really increases maximum distance.

There is another thing. If the Dial got paired with the Raspberry before inserting the BT USB stick you have to reset rooExtend to the factory default before you can pair a second time. This can be done on the rooExtend webpage you find if you open the IP-number of rooExtend in a browser.
Before the second pairing approach also remove batteries for a short time.

Best DrCWO

I have found that running 3.03, my RooDials are significantly slower to reconnect from sleep when touched – it takes a full second or more to be become fully operational. I have reflashed one of my Dials back to 2.3.3 beta 5 and wake up/reconnect is near instant again.

Just reporting – I’m fine running to 2.3.3 for now, but open to a bit of experimentation.

(Two Dials, Pi3B and 4B, no BT extenders).

Thanks for reporting this, @RBM.

I’m experiencing exactly the same thing with the three dials I have and 3.03. I’ve been considering going back to a previous release. I’ve been wondering if it’s DietPi causing the behavior.

1 Like

Both my Dials are back on 2.3.3B5 for now and running fine.

Not sure if this behaviour was already present in 3.0.2 (wasn’t home much after the upgrade, and when I returned the auto-updates to 3.0.3 had already taken place).

1 Like

Reconnection is completely handled by Linux. My code is not involved at all in the reconnection process. I will evaluate this hopefully during this week.
I can‘t tell exactly when as I returned sick from traveling as have to stay in bed for some time.

Best DrCWO

Sorry to hear that… Get well soon, Doc!

2 Likes

So sorry to hear this. I hope you feel better soon!

1 Like

Tested and no Covid. :+1:
Probably will survive :+1: :grin:
Man flu! Hope you know what I mean :grin:

4 Likes

Well I’m relieved. I bet you are, too. :slight_smile:

Flu can be miserable, too, though. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

1 Like

@DrCWO - I hope you’re resting and focused on your health. Please don’t feel obligated to respond to this. I’m just sharing it with you so you can be aware of it when you’re feeling better.

I’m now certain that I’m seeing the same behavior as @RBM when using 3.0.3. With 2.3,2 and earlier, pressing or spinning a dial that hadn’t been used for a while would result in the expected behavior. In 3.0.3, the first interaction with a dial wakes it, which takes a few seconds, after which gestures are detected and responded to. I verified this with the four dials I have, all of which are paired to Pi 4s (two wired, two wireless). I’ve gone back to 2.3,2 for the moment. I’m available to test new releases.

I hope you’re feeling better or that you feel better soon. Regards!

This is the worse kind! Get well soon :+1:

1 Like

It‘s on my list…